Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 28

Ola Amigos,

Welcome to the next chapter of Operation 365. Taking up into the year 2011. "Old Friends, New Faces" is what I'm gonna call it and it's gonna go on until you've seen many, many, many of my most talented friends who I haven't had the chance to share yet. Even though the archive is only one part of Operation 365, I am wired in an extremely community-minded way. It's why I have had some success hosting Open Mics, that and I can say interesting things into a microphone. I believe what a group can do working together will always surpass even the greatest individuals of one focused person and the group will have a lot more fun and grow more from what they've done It's a theory I have. My life is a work in progress determining whether I really think this is true.

So I'm gonna share and in doing so, hopefully help set an example because that's one thing I think this world can use a whole lot more of is sharing. As Destructo Bunny just reminded me on video, that's the whole point of doing shows like "12 Hours of Free Music" and "24 Hours of Free Music" in the first place. To give people a place to come together and shine. For us all to become more than what are alone. It's what I believe in. Like this and Operation 365 and everything else, it's a work in progress, an experiment to see if you do a certain thing or act a certain way, what will happen.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 34 Destructo Bunny - 12-6-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNHZ01ef6U

I decided to include the first TWO songs from Bunny's set at the 2008 "12 Hours of Free Music" show here. Normally, I'd do one but because I plan to focus on a lot of different artists in the next week or two here I figured I'd give a bigger taste of the force of nature known as Destructo Bunny. Born James Deans, "Bunny" as I call him freestyles from his heart and from his soul. Like me, he hasn't given up on humans pulling together and getting through this debacle of a time richer, wiser and smarter as a species, aware that we rely on each other and that we can do much more. I admire his passion and and his eloquence as he articulates points that speak to people at their core. Enjoy the Rabbit! There is only one like him and I am glad that he's my friend.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 34 "Time Won't Pass Me By"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dlxBgrOP0Y

I've been recording a lot of music on my vacation from school lately and it feels great. To be doing what you're meant to do and what you're passionate about is so much rewarding than counting the hours til you can go home. It's been a blast. I've been recording drums for the new "Acoustic Booze" CD. Finishing up my 5th CD, "The Great New Way," possibly my masterpiece, and tracking acoustic guitars for my next two CDs to follow that one. Astute observers may have spotted the microphones in the background of this week's videos. That's why.

"Time Won't Pass Me By" is one of those tunes and a product of my prolific 2010 Summer Songburst that yielded about 10 tunes in an inspired 2 1/2 weeks. "Time Won't Pass Me By" is about what I just said. Doing what feels right to you and making a difference as much as you can because now is the chance you have to do it.

There's a line in this tune about that goes "I've got you to thank. I've got me to shank. I've gotta heal and find my way" At the time I wrote it I didn't know exactly what I meant. It was a metaphor like shooting yourself in the foot, meant to mean doing something to hold yourself back. Little did I know I'd really shank myself in the 3 months that have passed from then to now. Thankfully, I'm almost healed. It's that damn illusion of randomness mocking me for even considering it's existence. There is no randomness. Everything happens for a reason.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 34 "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHs3GoBHg5I

On the way back form recording today, I got a call from an old pal, Ashley. She is visiting from Washington and called to say hey and grab a beer. She stopped by and appears as the girl on the couch in the vids I recorded today. Also appearing as the blue knees next to Ashley is amigo extraordinairre Blowski.

"Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" is a number I used to do with the kids at an old job and one I've known for awhile. Didn't have much time for 365 today I busted this one out and it works. I suck at whistling, so feel free to fill in the whistling yourself... please.

No comments: