Thursday, December 9, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 12

I've been very amused these days with the reaction I've been getting from Operation 365 so far. A lot of people have been telling me they like it while other s have been inspired to start posting more videos of their own it seems. Very cool. I've even got some comments from a number of people I don't know. One lady even said I ruined the Beatles for her. That was cool. I will continue to keep you abreast of reactions to this project.

Special birthday shout-out to my brother and sister, John and Julie in New Jersey.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 15 "Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVUf_K9HkUg

What a classic tune. I feel like it should be in every movie with any dramatic part whatsoever. Then again, that would get old quick so... I tried a few version with my benevolent blind hamster Shanti scampering around on the guitar but she found herself plummeting to a couple of slippery falls, so that had to end. but, it was so humorous, I am providing those attempts as my first Operation 365 outtake, available here hamster-lovers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvo6OsT5jyw


Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 15 "Fricasee Junction" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiA0vEfR-W8

My dear friend and long-time songwriting partner Scott Baslaw, hit me up with some sort of Yahoo IM message saying something like "so you're too good to do any Demarests songs in your 365 thing, huh?" mixed in with a tons of ridiculous emoticons which he claimed best expressed how he was feeling at that moment. Scott loves emoticons for some reason. This may be the best sign yet that this little quest is growing, Scotty noticing. He refuses to use Skype, Facebook and a bunch of other modern- day things. Honestly, I'm a tad surprised he even knows youtube exists.

Some necessary background, The Demarests are/were my first band. We started in 1992 and for the massive majority of our 18 years the only two members have been myself and Mr. Baslaw. we have 3 releases, From Russia With Love (1992), which features 4 of the first five songs I/we ever wrote, EMBARGO (2000), one of the finest pieces of work I've ever participated in, and Our Time Is Now (2007), which is comprised of music written for people from the future. I love Scotty so I instantly obliged his passive agressive request. "Fricasee Junction," we wrote last year, over the phone, the first/only tune we've ever written this way so far.

I will dedicate this post to my brother and sister, John and Julie, whose birthday it is today, December 9. John and Julie grew up watching Scott and I rock out in my room at The House of Love (the place we grew up). Enjoy!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - The Jefferson Jay Show - Episode 02; Part 01 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SdwZaWoRA

And for my Thursday Big-Hitter I am offering Episode 02; Part 01 of The Jefferson Jay Show.
The Jefferson Jay Show features my friends and I in interesting circumstances, looking at life's questions and having fun. I have had the first 2 episodes shot and planned for a year and a half, but it wasn't until this Operation 365 video rally that I had the aptitude or resolve to take this off my list of things to do. I recently finished posting Episode 1. It has 6 parts and can be found at youtube.com/jeffersonjaydotcom with all the rest of my videos. Episode One looked at life, death and whether I should get a puppy or not.

Episode 2 starts today here and I expect to get it up in a much more timely manner. It is mostly based at The San Diego Mardi Gras Parade in 2009. Episode Two; Part One features myself, Dylan Avery (who is filming), Blowski and Jeff Dewine as we make our way through traffic to the site of the parade.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Outtakes - 15 "Whiter Shade" featuring Shanti the Hamster - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvo6OsT5jyw

This is my first outtake offering in Operation 365. I wasn't planning on offering any necessarily but... I was trying to record "Whiter Shade of Pale" yesterday with Shanti the Hamster on my guitar and she turned out to be very very good for the camera so here it is in it's entirety. Watch closely or you may miss watching the cute blind hamster fall.

No animals were harmed in the filming of these outtakes.

Peace

No comments: