Sunday, December 5, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 8

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 11 "King's Highway" by Tom Petty - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kPsgeF9gkc

I've always loved this cool tune by Petty off his "Into the Great Wide Open" album

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 11 JJ OB Parade Jam Pt. 2 - 12-5-2009 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDunOmgGZs

Figured now was as good a time as any to go full force with 2009 OB Holiday Parade footage. In this clip, the conclusion of our jaunt down Newport Avenue, Barbara Tolbert and I sing "Moondrop," a tune made popular locally by our group (with Justin Mills and Charlotte James) The Greens of Mind.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 11 "Poochbag"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAa_oNlEmk

"Poochbag" is one of several tunes I wrote about my beloved pooch Angel. I was referring to her in this number as a bag of pooch, which she was and still is to this day. Other hits penned about her include "FATSO," "Independent Girl," "Crybaby," and "Rincon and Angel," just to name a few. This was written in 200o in New Jersey when Angel was but a bitty pup. in fact this may be the first tune I ever wrote about her. I had the idea and then my stepbrother, Kevin Brown, who was 10 at the time, dove in and helped write the verses. He also sang lead on this tune on the album version. "Poochbag" was originally recorded for my 2000 limited release "Salvaging Jersey," an album about my coping with a long stay in The Garden State.

It was to my great surprise that San Diego audiences were quite fond of this quirky number and I found myself playing it out quite frequently after I moved to SD in 2000. People would laugh. I guess they thought it sounded like I was saying "douchebag." Well, who'da thunk it?

On that note, who knows why this tune, of all tunes, popped into my head as the song I should record today. I guess some mysteries are meant not to be solved.

No comments: