Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 29

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 35 Charbra - 10-13-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33_v-Oh7hT8

"Old Friends, New Faces" is a misnomer in more than one way today as Charbra enters the fray of Operation 365. Charbra is a duet supergroup consisting of (in its original acoustic format) Charlotte James on guitar and vocals and Barbara Tolbert on vocals and other instruments. I will call this version Charbra Classic. They have since "gone electric." Barbara, Charlotte, our friend Justin Mills and I also have another group called The Greens of Mind and I have posted a couple videos of Barbara and I rocking out on a couple of Greens of Mind tunes earlier in this project

Charbra rocks out acoustic. They started coming to my Open Mic in late 2008 and everything seemed to come together instantly. God bless that 2008. Here they are from that program (my Open Mic) on October 13, 2009. Check out Charbra when you get the chance if you're into harmony and women and that sort of thing.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 35 "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLKfNrmQqA

Gotta love these tunes from the 80s. What the hell were they talking about back then? Anybody know? "Smell like a sound?" What the the hell does that mean Who knows? It's classic. These tunes are fun.

People paying close attention may notice a copy of "The Matrix" bouncing up and down on my knee during "Hungry Like The Wolf." There is a very good reason for this. I was peering to the video camera and could clearly see my hairy leg making a cameo in this video. I did not wish for that to happen so I placed my copy of "The Matrix" which I just bought at the $2 dollar store (thank you) on my leg as a shield of sorts to protect viewers from any undue glare that may be shining off of my flesh. Dig it.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 35 "Manners"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9iz6L8yOhA

I've just been hanging out recording covers on a rainy day today. Think I'm locked and loaded through the new year. Been enjoying the over-the-top melodrama/terrific songwriting of legends like Billy Joel and and U2 and the sincerity and sorrow of a great song by my friend Tim Riley. Much fun to come. Was supposed to go to the studio and work more on finishing my record but 'twas not meant to be. JT, my engineer, is ill. Feel better JT. Still no idea what original I'm going to do today yet. Been having much fun with the covers for now...

Today's winner is "Manners." "Manners" is an obscure tune of mine. I've never played it live. one time, awhile back, my friends Becca Warner and Wes Davis were over and Becca said she was thinking about writing a kids' tune about "Manners." I felt the bug bite and wrote most of this tune there in a few minutes. Years later (months ago) I added the last verse to wrap it all up n' stuff. Would this song make you wanna have good manners if you were a kid? That's what I was going for I suppose. That and a little comedy. Smile.

No comments: