Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 22

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 27 Don Truesdail - 12-6-2008 2 - "Worker's Paradise"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6S9a0sWKnY

Operation 365 continues to celebrate the life of Don Truesdail with its "12 Days of Truesdail." For the rest of the week, we will be doing so by presenting Don's set from Jefferson Jay's 12 Hours of Free Music on December 6, 2008, one song at a time. Don kicked off the show that day. It was our buddy Blowski's birthday, another terrific day in the delight that was 2008 for our circle here in Ocean Beach, San Diego, California. Here is the second song in Don's set, a song about the struggle of the proletariat in the modern world. "Worker's Paradise." Don frequently used words conversationally that few people know. So, that "proletariat" is for you, pal.

For more info on Don and his music, please visit www.truesdailstudio.com

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 27 "Little Miss Jealous"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwg6lHdu9E

"Little Miss Jealous" is one I wrote way back when, maybe some time around five years ago. I was staring at the computer trying to think of fun, quick, easy song and that one popped into my head so there you go. I have been working hard in 2010 on my next CD "The Great New Way." I am really proud of it and it will be out in 2011. I also have another CD in the can (that means done) called "Women" about all my misadventures of the last five or so years. I'm trying to decide what if anything I want to do with that one. Regardless, I intend to spend the lion's share of my time here during this Christmas break to do as much recording as I possibly can. I have 30 new songs besides those that I plan on tracking so who knows? Maybe I
'll release 'em all as a box set... Do they still even make box sets?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 27 "I Have a Little Dreidel" by Samuel S. Grossman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg77c15I5Rs

Well, you see I thought this would be an easy little cute idea and a way to represent all people's and their songs in Operation 365. Well, not really but... I did think I could make a joke and writs that this tune was by "Some Old Jewish Guy From Long Ago" or even better, "Jewy Jewess and the Jews", but historian that I am, I looked it up and discovered, to my dismay that Samuel S. Grossman, had written the tune and now that I knew it even though he pretty much was "Some Old Jewish Guy From Long Ago" I had to give him his just do or I would not be treating him like all my other artists, thereby undoing any good I may have done my doing the darn tune in the first place.

Worse more, I discovered, (or re-discovered more accurately) that this song has a verse and not just a chorus. To compensate for my selective recollection in this case, I am calling this version an adaptation, my unique take on the Jewish holiday classic "I Have A Little Dreidel." The way I do it is I skip all the verses and shake my head in a flamboyantly spastic manner at the climax of the tune. I hope you dig it.

P.S. I also thought the tune was called "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel," not "I Have a Little Dreidel". That's what I put on my text at the end of the tune and frankly I think it is a much better name. Why a guy named Grossman has to name his song "I Have a Little Dreidel" is beyond me. Yes, people are going to make jokes about the Jews but do we always have to make it so damn easy?

No comments: