Thursday, December 2, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 5

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 8 Don Truesdail - "Torn Teddy" 12-18-2008 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYk0U0jL3U

This is a special to our Archives presentation as it is a one of the three songs that Don Truesdail played in his final performance on December 18, 2008. Don, one of my dearest friends, passed away January 13, 2009. In this performance, he is joined by Amadou Fall on kora, The Soul Man on guiro and Misha on violin. It was as beautiful then as it is now. Enjoy! "Onward and upward" - Don Truesdail

I've decided that I want put up special songs in the Archives on Thursdays. Because this started on a Thanksgiving Thursday and is scheduled to end on a Thanksgiving Thursday, I am going to be putting up "Big-Hitter Thursdays." And by that I mean I will try to make sure every Thursday something really transcendent and special is shared with all of you.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 8 Brand New Mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDuT8enzfDQ

Brand New Mind was written on January 13, 2009, the one-year anniversary of my dear friend Don Truesdail's passing. One of his tunes "Torn Teddy" is available in Archives today.

I was at our friend Richard Romero's house with Don's wife Nancy when I wrote it. It was a tough day as you might imagine. Later Nancy and I went and sat on the cliffs and I finished the lyrics to another tune I will post here someday called "Destines Combined," about my relationship with Don one year after his passing. Here's to you, Don!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 8 House of The Rising Sun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYITlgPkSDY

Here I play the traditional classic "House of the Rising Sun," a fun one to sing.

Though it wasn't planned this way exactly, (the fine line between what's planned and what isn't has really has me intrigued these days), perhaps this is another shout-out to my friend Don Truesdail. Don liked to play a lot of traditional tunes, many times adapting them to his own liking and style. I don't do it as often but here I do. So Truesy-Wuesy, this one's for you!

No comments: