Sunday, December 19, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 20

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 25 "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfWhjGPD5J8

I have always loved this tune since it's big resurgence with "Ghost" many moons ago. Recorded this version a few weeks back. Wasn't sure I'd use it, but it's Sunday today, so I said "what the hey." There's nothing really wrong with it anyway. It is a long version though... Good day!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 25 Blowski's Holiday Jam - 12-23-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUyLPVVnwdI

I acknowledge that using this clip to commemorate my "12 Days of Truesdail", may be pushing it a little, but just a little. This was filmed on December 23, 2008, at my open mic. Don attended this event frequently and mixed with all these crazy characters here on stage. This was our world at that time, or at least part of it. And the main reason I feel it's connected is... this shit is funny. Hilarious in fact. Maybe the funniest thing ever. And Don had himself a fine sense of humor so I know he'd be cackling at this madness big time.

Appearing in no particular order are my buddy Blowski, leading the way. He is initially on stage with Jack Davidson on lead guitar. When Blowski invites people up to join him on the next tune, he is joined by this wild bunch of jammers, Steve Keaney - harmonica, Wes Davis - tambourine, Jefferson Jay - kazoo, woodblock, plugging back in Jack Davidson's guitar, Ken Rahn - cajon, Mac Mac - guest vocals

May hilarity cause the place behind your ears to ache from laughing so hard cause that's what it did to me. Hail!

Just watched one the participants in this little jam, Wes Davis, make the 365 his own in a way I am entirely down with. Check out his "Jefferson Jay and Wes Davis play guitar via the internet - Pistons.AVI"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBlF6ZkNF8

Nice work Wes! I'll have a response soon for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feMcSvR4EfE

NOTE: I noticed the little screen at the end of this video said it's the 23rd archive vid. That's cause I made this one the other day and forgot to change it. I was thinking about saving it for after the "12 Days of Truesdail, " but then I figured why wait for hilarity becuase you never know what tomorrow brings.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay (with Paul Ruiz) - Originals - 25 "Hallelujah Expressway" 9-28-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhF8YZYeLA

This clip was recorded on 9-28-2010 at my open mic and it features 2 friends that I met in the last couple years. Although Don never met either of these fellows they both make me think of him a lot. Paul Ruiz is a dear friend of mine. He plays trumpet, is smart, musical and carries that same relaxed, knowing, talented and supportive vibe that Don was a master of. At the end of the clip, you hear a "cackle" of a man named Mia. He appears sometimes via cackle on this clips and he is a man from Don's hometown of Owego, NY. The whole story of their connection is too long and bizarre to share here now, but I've always felt Don's love very strongly when Mia is around. Earlier in this blog, I referred to Don's laugh as a "cackle" and it was a bit cackle-esque. It all comes back around quickly I suppose because when I heard the end of my last clip today, there was Mia, and me referring to his laugh as "cackle." I love that cackle.

Oh, and this song is "Hallelujah Expressway." Living here in Ocean Beach, San Diego, one must have at least a few reggae tunes in one's arsenal to keep te locals at bay. I wrote "Hallelujah Expressway" last year. It's pretty ambitious for a reggae tune. I like it a lot and plan to record on an upcoming album soon.

No comments: