Friday, December 17, 2010

Operation 365... Take 18

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 23 Dorbel - 12-18-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haP2xqisIQg

Very special footage from the archives for Day 3 of our 12 Days of Truesdail. Here, on December 18, 2008, the day of Don Truesdail's final public performance, everyone was in good spirits. Our small community was celebrating a great year. The holiday spirit was in the air and everyone was festive. Don had family in town and here, he played with some of his many talented friends in a world music ensemble called Dorbel. Dorbel was and still is led by Farhad Bahrami, an amazing tar player and a close friend of Don's. Also on stage that special night, were Richard Steiger on percussion, Toni Pope on vocals, Laurel Grinnell by drums, Amadou Fall on kora, Misha Borisovsky on violin, and The Soul Man on guiro.

Cheers. Onward and upward. Holiday season. Hail Truesdail!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 23 "Pistons" by Wes Davis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWoqvCl9f8

Wes Davis is really good friend of mine and "Pistons" is one of his many awesome tunes. Wes is also an amigo of Truesdail's incidentally. I am such a big fan of Wes's that earlier this year I took up banjo and joined Wes Davis and The Clean Dirt Boys. Special thanks to Don for the lessons from beyond on the banjo. I was so gung ho I didn't even complain about the name. Joking aside, Wes, myself, Adrianna Martin-Morningstar on vocals and Paul Ruiz on trumpet were tearing it up this year before Wes had to jump to Santa Cruz for a spell. We are planning some shows together in April and I cant play with Wes and The "Boys" again soon enough. Peace Wessy D! Happy Holidays!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 23 "Lisas Are The Best"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBBtueFgMWA

A slightly sleepy version of one of my old classics. What can I tell ya? It's been a long work week. Hail vacation! At the beginning you can see me deciding what song I was going to do as the camera was rolling. Where to start with this jam? Well, I wrote the whole thing driving (literally) from Humboldt to San Francisco in 1999. Operation 365 can not recommend you try this. Years later, I would meet and briefly be engaged to woman named Lisa who never really dug the tune cause it was written before I met her. Enjoy the all-favorite song for Lisas everywhere hands down! Hail Lisas but these days I'm partial to Leanne's.

No comments: