Friday, December 31, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 31

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 37 "You're Breaking My Heart" by Harry Nilsson performed by Blair and Kymythy - 10-20-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9itZcic2KA

Here is another clip from my Open Mic on 10-20-2009. Here, my friends Blair and Kymythy heed the audience's demand for an encore and busty out their stirring rendition of Harry Nilsson's classic "You're Breaking My Heart." This song was affectionately known through my Open Mic as the F. U. song. Insert appropriate dirty word for "F." These guys moved up to Seattle, but I'm hoping to catch up with them soon 2011-style and do some stuff up in the Attle by the Sea in the Pacific Northwest.

TAGS: Blair and Kymythy, Blair, Kymythy, couple, singing, song, "You're Breaking My Heart", fuck you, fuck you song, Harry Nilsson, Jefferson Jay, Open Mic, Ocean Beach

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 37 "Downeaster Alexa" by Billy Joel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrGLv3_v3Vs

Let it be known that I think this song is hilarious. It is a super serious song Billy Joel wrote about the plight of fishermen off the coast of Long Island where he's from. It is off Billy Joel's second to last album "Storm Front" from 1988. I think the first concert I ever saw was Billy Joel on that tour. Up there anyway. First few for sure.

It's so interesting what happens to songwriters... Not always, but Billy Joel only put out one more CD after "Storm Front." His "River of Dreams" album which I won't even comment on just in case he ever reads this someday, came out in 1995. Kinda sad to me, he doesn't do records anymore. He must feel defeated or just so over it, but after putting out so much great music, I can't imagine just "deciding" not to do it anymore. Anyway, I'm off the topic, whatever that means. But Billy, if you do read this, please try again. You're Billy Joel. You ain't going out like that. Feel free to hit me up if you'd like more encouragement. I'm there for ya' Bill. Can I call ya Bill?

I had some fun with "Downeaster Alexa." It is a dramatic tune so I went there with it. Hope you like. In the immortal words of Billy Joel, "Yeah Yeah Oooooo-oooH!"

TAGS: open letter, Billy Joel, Downeaster Alexa, Long Island, Long Island Sound, bayman, fish, Jefferson Jay, funny

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay (with Barbara Tolbert) - Originals - 37 "Harmony Mountain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAzxZgAc0gA

Here I sing one of our Greens of Mind tunes that I wrote, "Harmony Mountain." I am choosing this tune today as a reminder to myself to wish all my Greens of Mind bandmates, Justin, Charlotte and Barbara and everybody else an awesome, fun, heart-fulfilling 2011. We've all had a lot of great times and I reflect on them very fondly. I am excited to spend New Year's Eve in an intimate setting and a comfortable environment playing music with great friends who I love very much. I wish you all an awesome 2011. Like everything else, it will be exactly as great as you make it, as great as you believe it will be, and I am very excited. Peace, love, kindness and understanding. God Bless.

Funny notes on the recording of this number. It's a super easy song but it took me 4 times to get through to even approach my satisfactory level. That being said, there may be a brief rough spot or two but one should never make excuses or caveats of this sort ever. So, funny notes; when I was recording those 4 versions, I couldn't help but notice that I kept flipping the bird to you, my visual audience, inadvertently, because that's just the shape of my hands when I play that chord. So sorry. Nothing intentional meant by that I swear. If anything, it must be seen as ironic in the context of that whole nice little speech I just wrote.

Also, just in from the irony department is the delicious juxtaposition of my trusty Humboldt sweatshirt (HSU is my alma mater) and that perfectly timed weed whacker solo from just outside my window right when solo time came. I love likfe and all it's delectable intricacies. All one needs to do is pay attention because the universe is always there and representing and revealing itself. It is just up to us to recognize and harmonize our actions to the celebration evolving all around us at all times. Or not... it's entirely up to you and I think that's the beauty, and perhaps even the point, of life itself.

Happy New Year. Have an amazing 2011.

Love Jefferson and Angel

P.S. That symbol I'm doing at the end of the video is my new cool symbol for the new year to come. I hold up two fingers to represent the first day and the first month which come tomorrow and then I pull them creating the "11" of 2011. You can do it too if you like. I won't mind. I promise.

P.P.S. I just realized I didn't record the sound for any of those four versions, so I guess I best do it again. Sorry if the weed whacker solo doesn't lineup this time. You know what, maybe I'll just go track down that version where Barbara sings too. How circuitous. Maybe...

So scratch all that. Can't justify spending anymore time on this today. So gonna go back to the original idea which was use the clip of Barbara and I singing this song. Barbara Tolbert, that is. You can tell she is having fun. I especially like where she strikes the mountain pose and when she sticks her tongue out at the end.

P.P.P.S. This number is dedicated to Becca Warner, who always loved this jam and requested it recently.

TAGS: Jefferson Jay, Barbara Tolbert, greens, mind, green, harmony, mountain, new year, 2011, tongue, dancing girl, acoustic, guitar, gibson, playful, happy

youtube suggested I add "christianity" and "inspirational" to the tags here and I did. Happy New Year youtube.

No comments: