Monday, December 13, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 14

I did a little research yesterday to see if any other Operation 365's existed and what their outcome was.

Here is what I learned. The most successful Operation 365 that has existed so far by FAR is this one called "Photography Blog by Maddison Owen." And it's found here. http://365daysinthelifeofmaddison.wordpress.com/
All she did was take a picture each day and write a sentence about it and even with that she only got to 198, before suddenly stopping her pursuit on July 18, 2010. Nice try Maddison.

There was another guy whose goal was to do a good deed and describe it every day for 365 days. He got through 18 days, so I am passing him today. I think his attempt ended in February and today, unlike yesterday, I can't even find proof this is true.

The first thing that comes up when you search Operation 365 in Google is this. http://operation-365.blogspot.com. Save you click (if it's not too late) cause there's nothing there and if there ever was there is no proof whatsoever so... fail.

Almost equally inept is this who the hell knows what:
http://operationthreesixfive.blogspot.com/ where they only posted one thing ever.

So without even attempting to compare the effort involved in posting 3 videos and a blog instead of a picture with a one sentence explanation, at Day 199 only 180 days (roughly half a year from now) I will be the greatest Operation 365er who ever lived. Wow, dare to dream!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 19 Hugh Gaskins - 4-15-2010

Here, my main man Hugh Gaskins participates in my "Yellow" CD Release/Birthday Party on April 15, 2010. He is joined on stage by The Soul Man on guiro. The Soul Man is one of my dearest friends. He is 92 years old and we have been playing music together for almost a decade. About 5 years ago, I hooked Hugh Gaskins and The Soul Man up musically. It was one of the greatest things I've ever done and The Titans of Rock N' Roll were formed. The irresistible force
collided with the immovable object and musical magic was born. I recorded a CD for The Titans in 2007. Here they are, accompanied by virtuoso conguero Paul Lopez of Aqua Dulce. In this clip, Hugh and I joke about his band name, The G-String Daddies and Hugh and his crew reprise one of his classics, "I Ain't Mad."

This clip was filmed by Dylan Avery.

Operation 365 - The Jefferson Jay Experience - Covers - 19 Freebird - Recorded Live - 4-15-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJINfCpiV9o

"What song is it you wanna hear?" the live recording asks, paving the way for the most requested cover song of them all, "Freebird." It was my birthday/"Yellow"CD Release party on April 15, 2010. Our set was about over and I asked the audience if they had any requests. From behind me, I head a voice (Paul Lopez's) say "Freebird" and although we'd never played, practiced or discussed it, i launched into it and this is what came out. I hope you like it. It was a fun way to end my birthday/CD Release party set.

From Fall 2009, I was playing with a version of my Jefferson Jay Band that I called The Jefferson Jay Experience. The biggest difference between the "Band" and the "Experience" was that the "Experience" was usually more acoustic and didn't always have a drum set. This version of the Experience featured Jack Davidson on lead guitar, Paul Lopez on congas, The Soul Man on guiro, Blowski on keys and Paul Ruiz on trumpet.

If you 'd like to pick up a copy of "Yellow" or any of my other CDs they are available at my website, www.jeffersonjay.com.

This clip was filmed by Dylan Avery.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 19 "Down South" - Recorded Live on 8-26-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZwvshEaMU

"Down South" was one of the first tunes I ever wrote in about 1995. I didn't realize until I was done writing it that it was a blues. I was living in Humboldt at the time and I used to hang out a place called the Jambalaya couple of nights a week. I would marvel at how people came out and danced on the floor at the blues every week regardless of what the people were singing about. So I wrote this tune and sat in and sang it at the blues jam a few times back then just to see if anyone would notice the lyrics. They didn't. I busted it back out a few months back out of the blue when I wanted to spark up our set with something a little bluesy and bombastic. It worked and here it is for you, live from Winston's on August 26, 2010 with The Jefferson Jay Band, this is my blues tune "Down South."

This version of The Jefferson Jay Band featured Jack Davidson on lead guitar, Paul Lopez on drums, The Soul Man on guiro, Blowski on keys, Richard Romero on bass and Paul Ruiz on trumpet.

No comments: