Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 154

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 161 Chimney Fish (acoustic) - 3-10-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEvxPjY4-wQ

Here are long-time stalwarts of Jefferson Jay programming, back in the day, The Chimney Fish. In this clip, they are performing acoustic-style at my Open Mic on March 10, 2009. They have since broken up. Brett Walling was the primary songwriter and lead vocalist for the group. Andy Davis plays cajon here, with Jeff Shaefer on lead guitar and Luke Oskam, on bass. I was a big Chimney Fish fan and had many good times kicking it with all those dudes. I hope they're doing well. I read on Facebook that there's going to be a 25th birthday party for Jeff coming up soon. I will have to do my best to attend that fiesta.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 161 "Manifesting Light From Darkness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebwMoyyDMRA

This song I wrote today. In case you hadn't noticed, I have been making up many of the original songs I have been posting for the 365 lately. It is often easier to do that, for me, than it would be to try to quickly recreate some old song I wrote awhile back, that I half forgot. SO here is today's offering. It is deliberately manic hit, as I attempt to manifest positive outcomes from what can seem to be a harrowing landscape.

I tell my students they can do whatever they want, if they believe they can do it, if they put their mind to it and keep working. I believe that. We need to think positive thoughts. So, this song starts a little dark, and then brightens up real quick on purpose. Why sit in darkness when you could forging your way into light?

Special thanks to Nigel the puppy for being so damn cute all the time.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 161 "The Star-Spangled Banner" by Francis Scott Key
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsbvzCp71o

In a revelation that may surprise a few of you, I love my country. Am I disappointed, perhaps even terrorized, by some of the actions they take on a daily basis? Absolutely. Horrified, in fact. My understanding that it is my right as an American to disagree with some of thew things my nation does. I pay taxes. I am in favor of peace.

That being said, I cherish, each instant I have here in this beautiful land. I appreciate so many aspects of our nation and its history. That is why I care to speak my mind and offer my educated opinions. Some say, "why don't you just leave if you dislike it so much?" I say, what would have happened if our founding fathers had just left instead of fighting for liberty. What would have happened if the freed African slaves had just left and gone back to Africa like many suggested they should? What would have happened if women, frustrated by their inability to procure equal rights for generations had all just left? What would have happened if they wave after wave of immigrants that arrived on our shores had all just left? Would America be a better nation for it?

I love America because I CAN speak freely. I can, right?

No comments: