Saturday, May 7, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 157

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 164 Chimney Fish (acoustic) - "Junkyard" - 4-15-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj28BMJt8cE

Here are my old friends, Chimney Fish, playing their song "Junkyard," acoustic-style. I always thought this tune was called, "Take It Away, Now," seems like a sensible name for, it, but I am mistaken. At least according to what Brett said before the start of the clip. Chimney Fish are/were Brett Walling on vocals, Jeff Shaefer on lead guitar, Andy DAvis on drums (in this case, cajon) and Luke Oskam on bass. They broke up a little while back, but they were mainstays of my program for some time. I still remember the first day I met 'em. They are joined for this performance by Orv on flute and The Soul Man on guiro. The Soul Man always played with Chimney Fish. What band of strapping young lads doesn't want a ninety-something dude scraping along with them at all times? well, Chimney Fish did. Ahh, yes those were the days.

This was recorded on April 15 2009 as part of my two-day little birthday celebration. Lots of my amigos came out. We did this show on the 15th and then my actual birthday show on the 16th doubled as my CD release party, for my record "Blue; A Kid's Album." There appears to be some synergy here, some irony, perhaps, and today is Jeff Shaefer's birthday. He is 25 today. I am planning on attending a little birthday bash, being thrown in his honor. I am sure I will get to see these here Fishes and some other folks I used to see often, but I see rarely now. Peace to Fishes and Happy birthday Jeff!

NOTE: Notice how Brett starts waving the middle finger, upside-down over his head as the song ends. I like that for some reason.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 164 "Blue Suede Shoes" by Carl Perkins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npcj4W_vXv8

I've been wanting to do "Blue Suede Shoes" for some time now. What a fun song! It has special meaning to me as a guy who used to sport a pair of, you guess it, blue suede shoes. I played this shoe convention gig in Vegas with my old drummer Phil. I hit is off with this cool cat, Steve Rodriguez, who used to play with a legendary SD band called The Dragons. Long story short, he hooked me up with a sweet pair of blue suede shoes. I wore 'em t'til I couldn't wear 'em any more. It's not quite the same thing to walk around wearing a pair of tattered blue suede shoes. Pretty sure they're in my closet still. May the should make a cameo. Thanks Steve.

Sensing a once-a-lifetime opportunity, I bring you, cute puppy Nigel dancing in my blue suede shoes. Stick around 'til the end for that if you're sure your heart can handle the cuteness. Nigel is a star. Speaking of stars, while Carl Perkins wrote , it was made most popular by the King of Rock 'N Roll, Elvis Presley. I'm convinced Nigel's the Elvis of Dogs. Maybe with a little bit of Justin Bieber thrown in, whoever that is.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 164 "Bob Green and What Happened to Rita"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLq-7loUskk

So today I decided to play a few chords and sing about whatever was on my mind. I honestly didn't even know what was on my mind. Apparently, my former college partner (not like that) Bob Green and what happened to Rita on "Dexter" are what was on my mind. Who knew? Certainly, not I.

So I threw down a little stream of consciousness there for ya. Can't imagine I'll ever play this tune again, but you never know. That's the whole thing with life, its' unpredictability. If anybody who knows Bob Green sees this, please tell him I said "Hi!" Thanks.

Shouts out to my song "April," and every other song that's D C G, for helping me get this done. Oh, I'm so not over what happened to Rita. I don't know if I ever will be. I'm not ready to talk about it.

TAGS: Bob Green, UMASS, Dexter, Julie Benz, Rita, dead, John Lithgow, sad, disturbing, stream of consciousness, Nigel, puppy, terrier mix, Blue Suede Shoes, The Wire, Elvis Presley, elvis of dogs, Dennis Moore, Jefferson Jay, basic chords, improv, freestyle. melody, gray, bobbing for apples, Halloween, Mercedes, Steely Dan, puke, sorry, hi

No comments: