Sunday, May 1, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 151

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 158 L'Ensemble Tournevis - 1-31-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdiwVnmCy3g

Here is one of the coolest stories of the 365 so far and it was born from one of old Sunday nights at my old home place. So a performer I'd booked, Karla Mi Lugo, asked if these gentlemen who had been playing around town could have a set at my Sunday night show. I'd heard them before so I said sure. I even got the boss to give them a pizza and they were very appreciative. These French-speaking gentlemen hail from Quebec, Montreal, Canada, and even though I didn't know their name when I posted a first video of them months ago, I do now and that is the premise for this really cool story.

So I get a decent amount of emails in my youtube/gmail inbox relating to the 365. Many of them are about comments on my videos or subscriptions to them or whatnot. I don't check them that much, but every so often I do. So one day I check, I have received this very kind, appreciative email from a fellow in the midwest named Ryan King. He loved the "Four Gypsy Guys" which is what I called L'Ensemble Tournevis, before I rediscovered their name. I even reached out to anyone readin who could tell me their name to do so. Ryan wrote to me, paraphrased, " I am friends with Karla, but I have lost touch with her. That video of the Four Gypsy Guys is great. Who are they?" So on and so forth. In the meantime, Karla hit me up, with a very short email, and told me who they were. I then passed this information along to Ryan and now, reprinted with his permission, this is what he wrote.

Re: Four Gypsy guys
To:jeffersonjaydotcom

thanks, so much....I want to find these guys....I just thought that their music was amazing, I have been riding my bike, and listening to that video on my iphone for about a week...It has inspired me to quit pursuing a loud rock band, and try to form a band that could play music anywhere, with all those easily portable instruments...thanks for doing what you do man...I have found a lot of cool people just from watching your videos....Well, i never get a response from Karla anymore, I think she is quite busy, and away from the internet world a lot, which is a good thing...Thanks man! I would love to play at your Operation 365 one day, if only i were not in Indiana

Peace and love,
Ryan King

That blew my mind. Specifically this part, "It has inspired me to quit pursuing a loud rock band, and try to form a band that could play music anywhere, with all those easily portable instruments...thanks for doing what you do man..."

I said when I started this thing that I was doing it just to see what would happen and now this has. I am humbled and moved to have made such an impact on someone I didn't know who lived so far away. After I asked Ryan if I could share his cool story, he sent this.

Re: Four Gypsy guys
To:jeffersonjaydotcom

I don't mind at all if you share my message. I think that would be awesome. I did get in touch with L'ensemble tournevis. they sent me some Mp3s, email style, and really appreciated me tracking them down. I love the internet for this reason. i could log in and unexpectedly see a band that I normally would not ever cross paths with, and now I am on a communicative basis with them. The same as with you. Thanks for responding. It means everything to me, for people to respond when I send something. Share away. Peace and love

Ryan King
http://www.colonelted.bandcamp.com

I just think this whole thing is awesome. I am really glad to have made any sort of impact. I had no pre-conceived notion of that the Operation 365 would become. I DO know that it takes a large chunk of time every day, so it feels great to hear that it's having an affect.

Cool deal, Ryan. Keep up the great work. Anybody else, whose been moved by the 365, in any way, feel free to let me know. It makes the whole thing feel worthwhile.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 158 "The Quadratic Formula" arranged by Mrs. Galorenzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzcLDWu2uNs

Speaking of stuff you can't believe you remember... Ahhh, the power of music. So sometime in high school, I learned this. I don't remember much else from high school math, but I do remember "The Quadratic Formula." Why? Because Mrs. Galorenzo came up with this catchy melody to accompany it. Do I remember what it means or any of it's mathematical implications? Absolutely not. I even included the aged-film effect when I sing it backwards after the "credits," just to illustrate how long ago, this all was.

I hope this finds Mrs. Galorenzo, who has probably been retired for some time now. I hope this finds her well and that she is proud of how all this gibberish stuck in my head for years, because of her teaching techniques, even if I couldn't apply this knowledge if my life depended on it. It's not her fault. Math got really confusing to me, once we got past long division. So to all you math heads out there, this one is for you.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 158 "Say Good Night To All That Anger"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSq5YMC0T1E

This song was written for anyone out there who is still angry over something they should have let go long ago. It doesn't serve you any way at all. In fact, that shit eats you up. It can kill you, even. Give you a heart-attack or something. Let it go. Free yourself. Please. Good night.

No comments: