Saturday, April 30, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 150

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 157 Justin Mills - "Little Darling" - 4-29-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv3PPmtV7F8

Hello. Here is a version of "Little Darling" one of my favorite songs of all-time, by my pal Justin Mills. This was recorded on April 29, 2010, one year and one day ago. Justin is joined here by myself on Ashbory bass (isn't she cute?) and The Soul Man on guiro. This performance is special for a few reasons. One, this was the CD Release party for Don Truesdail's first CD, "Hello Nancy, Dasvidanya Bingoland." Secondly, it was my final show at the restaurant I once called home, Portugalia. Technically, it was Nancy Truesdail's show. She organized it and booked it and whatnot, but it was a Thursday, my final Thursday. I hosted Thursdays there for over three years. So all things considered, it was a wonderfully bittersweet night. A couple of nights later. when my Sunday show was canceled without me even being told, I resigned.

"The Port," as we affectionately called was having some troubles staying open. Various local agencies were cracking down on the owner for not having the proper permits to do all the things he was doing. My Open Mic, two days prior, also was canceled, at the last second. Until the night of the show, Nancy didn't even know if this show, which had been promoted heavily, would be allowed to happen. So it was the end, and as often is the case, it eventually got a little ugly, but not this night. This night was the final night of a marvelous era. The owner had lost the right to serve alcohol, so various artists, including myself, intermittently, made their way down to other bars, that WERE still serving drinks. How bizarre. Most of the mainstays took a turn on the stage, tributing Truesdail, a guy we all loved.

Well, it seems difficult to believe that it's been over a year since I worked at "The Port." I feel good. I miss doing the Tuesday and Thursday shows, but my time there had clearly come to an end. That's why I resigned. So, here is a toast to that golden era, and here is one of its finest songwriters, Justin Mills, playing arguably it's best song, "Little Darling." I'm just glad I was a part of the whole thing.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 157 "Taps" arranged by General Daniel Butterfield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajv1tQq5Hdg

This is a final farewell to the era I just wrote of. My final show at Portugalia was a year ago yesterday. Portugalia was the venue where many of my archival clips were filmed and the room where my whole wonderful circle of friends blossomed. I had spiritual revelations in that room and countless unforgettable memories. The word is they'll be closing they're doors for good there soon. Like I said, I left a year and a day ago.

When I looked up "Taps" I learned it initially meant "lights out," and is played to end the military day. Seems fitting here. Later, in 1891, they began to play it at military funerals and memorial services and whatnot. wikipedia says both Union and Confederate forces played it during the Civil War. There are lyrics too. "Day is done..." and so forth. I went instrumental. Here is a final respectful moment of closure and appreciation for that spot, in commemoration of all the good times my friends and I had there from 2006 (was it 2005?) to 2010.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 157 "Hello Hello Hello"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osp0GcnrkEw

The future. What does it mean? What'll it bring? Do we realize we decide? Or do we sit back and just watch it all pass by? This is a choice we make. A choice WE make every day. and if you don't decide. Than kiss it all goodbye. What happens. The ground shakes beneath your mind. Where's this all going? Do you realize you decide? You can just sit and stay awake. But is that a chance that's safe to take?

You see as I still improvise, I'm taking chances with my lives. I hope to live create. Will my intentions resonate?

This is another new little something I bring you from my mind. It just arrived there, hanging on the line. I gave it back to you instantly not filtering my stream. Do I know exactly what I mean? I mean a feeling. I mean a thrust, a touch, desire, I mean revealing. I mean revealing. I mean a lusting to inquire. I mean our mind, this life, our times, our tries, our mind. I mean leaving it on the line. I mean a sunny day in San Diego, C-A and I'm inside, excavating our mind. I'm talking to you here on a computer. I should be talking to those outside. Applying to get by. Risking rejection. Taking my words to the streets. Or at least getting something good to eat.

Have a great morning. Loving everything is truly getting by.

No comments: