Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 132

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 140 J. Mitchell - 9-1-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZK0pIWtzn8

J. Mitchell is a phenomenon, the likes of which the world has never seen. There is only one. Comedian. Musician, His talent is so thick it is artistically is practically incomprehensible. And I am on a J. Mitchell kick. Non-fans of J. Mitchell's work, un-understanders as we in the know call 'em, will be glad that tomorrow will be a J. Mitchell free day on the 365, but when I want to rock and shake it up, rest assured J. Mitchell will raise again to provide, humor, insight, a smiling face, and an appreciation of the stage that few others can call their own. When materialism fades, and people regain perspective as to what really matters in this life, J. Mitchell with be the next Justin the Beaver, and maybe this here video will have exactly what it takes to get 457 million hits. I'm just saying stranger things have happened. Have you seen J. Mitchell? I love that guy.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 140 "The Woody Woodpecker Song" - George Tibbles and Ramey Idriss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxP0b__RIC8

This is pretty thin for a cover. I'm not gonna lie. I thought I wrote a song earlier today. I was playing it for a little while, feeling all good about myself. It was a pretty impressive little piece. It would have been a step for me as a songwriter. Jazzy, bluesy, deep, thick. Great stuff. After I was recording it with Paul Ruiz, my trumpeter amigo, when I realized it was actually the first riff from a song by another of my amigos, Don Truesdail. It was the start of his jam, "Virgo Ascetic." I'm still getting back from tour and trying to get resettled.

So I played the riff from "Woody Woodpecker" and that's what you got. I saw Trey Anastasio of Phish play it between song a couple times. I liked it and learned it. Now I too play it here and again. I even learned the rest of the riff, but I botched the one time I tried today. I played it in the classroom earlier today and kids these days don't know who Woody Woodpecker is. Can't say that really surprises me. That cartoon is really old. They know Tom and Jerry though so, who knows?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 140 "California Sun"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iFFFrm3u90

Sticking with my new motif of changing up the 365 to include more ballsy outdoor locations, I come to you today from the backyard at the Blowski Compound. The Blowski Compound is the home of one of my all-time best amigos, Blowski. It is a space where I have been blessed to be making music and having amazing times for years. So I come to you today from in front of his orange tree, surrounded my dogs and nature, on to pof a hill, overlooking the ocean. Here is a little, little something I dug up when I realized the song I had written that I was REALLY into, was actually by Don Truesdail. I will now go work on a modified version of these riffs with some lyrics, I'm a writing, and maybe you'll see that soon too.

Oh, and on the name... I thought "California Sun" would be a cool name for a song, so I used it. Peace, love and understanding... or as I say to my students in a rapidfire delivery... "Questions, comments, thoughts, feelings, opinions, beliefs, conjecture, speculation? Anybody? Anyone? Anything?" Usually I get blank stares, when I say that. That's sort of what it's there for, but twice in the last two days after I said that, a young girl, at two different schools, raised her hand and said, smiling, "I believe in God." I replied, "That's good.", and in an attempt to encourage all ideas I added, "People believe all kinds of wonderful things." Another wonderful day in Ocean Beach.

No comments: