Sunday, April 10, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 129

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 137 Charbra - 3-3-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEF23UmFlnQ

This is some early Charbra, before they officially embraced the moniker, Charbra, which I handpicked, just for them. They were still l trying to work the Charlotte and Barbara angle at this time. It couldn't have been more than a couple of weeks later, when I put the subject of their name to a vote for the audience. They overwhelmingly, perhaps unanimously, demanded Charbra be the girls' name, going forward. They girls had no choice but to capitulate Their public insisted. Enjoy some early Charbra, playing my very first favorite Charbra song, "Reign Over Me."

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 137 " Rock A Bye Baby" - Traditional
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aN7Ek8otBE

This is my thick, croony version of the classic lullaby, "Rock A Bye Baby." Is there even any other lullaby anybody knows? Bob Marley is to reggae as "Rock A Bye Baby" is to lullabies; by far the most well-known. I added my deliberately silly rap version at the end. If you love mediocre lullaby rap songs, this is one you won't wanna miss.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 137 "A Capella Rap Tour Recap"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn0oiNq4Wjk

So it's the final morning form the road, back here with Wes's mom in Santa Cruz. Gotta finish up the vids here quick as an 8-hour drive home awaits. It's already 10AM and I work tomorrow. Fun. Actually, I eagerly anticipate sleeping in my bed, among other things. I decided to go with this "A Capella Rap Tour Recap," because like Operation 365 tells a story in a backwards sort of way about my life and my friends, this rap thing does the same for our tour. Not so much in what's said, but in how it's said and what's not said.

My fatigue is tangible. My normally sharp mind is more than slightly dull from a week of sleeping in the van and odd spots. So I figured, I'd go full disclosure and share the treasure if the truth right there. What have we learned from this excursion. Not sure too much new stuff... Well, I learned these new things. One, most people, when it comes down to it, don't want three dudes in a dog staying in there house, even if they thought they did, when it was only theoretical. Also, booking shows in the road through your friends sucks. Two shows we had got messed up, by no fault of our own. In both cases, I called friends who successfully set up gigs and then, felt, because they are friends with me, I gather, that it would be OK if they totally didn't follow through on the plans they made with me. It's OK. We made the best, adapted, adjusted. No dire damage, but I won't be making that mistake again.

Perhaps they biggest thing I learned was something, I'm still not even sure about. I don't know, for sure, if this is what I really want to do anymore. Let me clarify. I want to play music. I want to travel and play for people, but as you may be able to glean from this vid here, I'm tired. As much fun as it is, life on the road, is hard. I'm not sure I would want to rough it in this manner too many more times. Maybe some sort of progress, leading to greater space and beter accommodations, would make it more like my dreams and less like the nightmarish parts of it all. So to recap, finally, tour was fun. Had a blast with friends. Everything was perfect, but more in the everything-happens-for-a-reason way, and less in the everything-went-exactly-as-I-would-have-planned way. Basically, I'm tired and I want to go home. Tour was great. I'll rejuvenate. I hope when we go next time, I'll be able to focus more entirely, on the getting better, playing music, having fun with my friends side of it and less worrying about where we're going to sleep, where everything we need is, and what mysteries await, and our next show on the tour.

Special thanks to Alicia and Kaleena in Santa Cruz, Francesca and KPOO, Dylan Scahtz and Ally and Mad River Brewing Co. in Blue Lake, Natalie Green at HSU, Ian at The North Coast Journal, AJ Johnson and William at Naked Lounge in Sacramento, Jade at Asana Tea House in Santa Cruz, Lauryn Bradley for putting us up in Tiburon, Jesse and Kevin at Giordano Bros. in SF, my sweet Leanne for helping me post vids, and and all our friends who greeted us warmly and and made us feel at home, even as we lived like the homeless for a week, all around California.

No comments: