Thursday, April 14, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 133

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 141 " Jefferson Jay and Paul Ruiz - "February" 4-13-2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfU79ioL9s4

"February" is one of my favorite songs that I've ever written. I wrote in on February 1, 2010 as a make-up song to the month February and a display of my talents to a Brazilian girl I was hanging out with, that had never heard me play. My pal, Paul Ruiz, was over when I wrote it and he sat in on trumpet then and again, yesterday, April 13, 2011. This was filmed near an orange tree in the Blowksi Compound, my friend's abode where we hang and play music.

Nigel the puppy made a little poop in Blowski's yard. We stood near it. Blowksi commented on it at the outset of the vid. I have recorded a number of versions of this jam in archives because I so enjoy playing it. A detail about this song. The chords are F7, Em, and B7, (F, E, and B) for almost the whole song. F-E-B, get it? Febuary... Pretty cute, huh?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 141 "And She Was" - David Byrne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-niBQMiARU

"And She Was," an awesome tune by David Byrne, performed The Talking Heads, was in my head earlier today. I realized it was not on any Talking Heads album I have, and I have a few. So I went and got it and looked up the chords and what d' ya know? They weren't that hard. Happy day!

I have been trying to do my vids in interesting outside spots that I go, instead of just sitting in my chair. So today, I appear live, outside, my girlfriend Leanne's apartment, sitting in the mulch outside of her next door neighbor's abode. Thanks Rudy. Yeah, I was playing a little shyly because I hadn't asked first and I didn't want to annoy anyone, but he came out as I was leaving and assured me I could play in front of his place any time I want. Leanne didn't realize I was recording, so she walked by right in the middle of the song and started talking to me. These have been busy days and I haven't yet caught up from returning from tour.

David Byrne claimed this song was about a girl he knew taking LSD in a field next to a Yoo-hoo beverage factory in Baltimore, Maryland. I like Yoo-Hoo. They lyrics I read were about neighbors, a girl, and a yard, so the place I picked seemed fitting. Well, Paul Ruiz and Nancy just stopped by, so bye!

I'm back. I just noticed that there is a huge hissing sound on this video. It's the ocean. Leanne lives one clock away. On that part, where Leanne walks by and starts talking to me, she didn't know I was recording. Obviously. This was the second time I played the tune. I hope I remember to play it again more.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 141 "When I Try To Open My Eyes"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzD7N8hHvRU

This is the next level version of the tune I wrote yesterday, "California Sun." I was feeling the tune and I wrote a bunch of lyrics then I tried to stick 'em together, and, as often happens when playing instrumental stuff, I didn't play the parts long enough. It seems long when there's music only, but when you add vocals, things tend to need to go a lot longer. That was the case here, so I changed it as I was working on this song today at 2 o' clock in the morning. As I got near done, I realized, this part that I've had sitting around for years would fit perfectly at the end of this one, so I stuck it there.

I recorded this one in Leanne's house. Nancy called right before I got tot that part I was just talking about. I think I'll leave it in. Keep it real, if you will. This song is about going down the road that will make you feel good; making smart, safe, and healthy choices instead of what may seem right short-term, at the time. I like it. Leanne says it sounds like a hit. Stick around to the end for a special appearance by the mystery chord.

No comments: