Saturday, April 9, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 128

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 136 Hugh Gaskins and The Soul Man - 3-3-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXuBRN1zDE

One of my finer accomplishments as a person to this point in my life is bringing together these two forces of nature, Hugh Gaskins and The Soul Man. Energy, power, performance, immortality, even, arguably. When they met it was like when the irresistible force and the immovable object first got together to drink whiskey and tequila, respectively. We are lucky we're all still alive. I'm surprised the world didn't just plum explode. I love these guys. They are my amigos. I included the introduction so you could here a little bit of my adoration for this tyrannical twosome. I dubbed them "The Titans of Rock N' Roll," and recorded a CD for them that I'm pretty sure nobody has ever heard.

Hugh busted a string on this song here. I used to call him Poppa Strings, because he would do that pretty much every time he played. He's cut that back a bit now. Hugh is a great guy, and so it The Man of Soul. Long live The Titans of Rock N' Roll.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 136 "Three Blind Mice"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu2dy5tQmrY

What a gruesome tail. No pun intended. I have fun here with this little number, "Three Blind Mice". Another one for my school is out, back to school week. What could be more fun than "Three Blind Mice?" Unless you are the mice, I suppose...

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 136 "The Golden Gate Bridge Banjo Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdcSesCYHnM

The tour is nearing it climactic crescendo, it's apex, if you will, as we wait to pay the toll on The Golden Gate Bridge. It has been fun, unpredictable, and a bit exhausting. True quality slumber can be elusive on the road. The" L-Train", my long time friend Lauryn, put Blowski and I up last night. Merci beacucoup, Mademoiselle. It was also very nice to catch up with my old pal, Paul Szcepanek (it's spelled something like that), bassist of former Marin County supergroup, Jumbo.

Here we are in The Marin Headlands. I filmed a little banjo jam for ya' here, I'm calling "The Golden Gate Bridge Banjo Blues." A final shout-out to Francesca, a DJ at KPOO, 89.5 San Francisco, who had Wes and I on her show last night, and was a gracious, supportive, and talented hostess. Had much fun outlining my idealistic agenda and laughing on the air, once again. I adore radio. Thanks to Francesca, The Golden Gate Bridge, "The L-Train," and KPOO. Oh, they don't want to be called K-POO, I read there. They prefer it pronounced K-P-O-O. Thanks K-P-O-O. We had fun.

No comments: