Sunday, April 17, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 136

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 144 Jefferson Jay - "P.S. It's You" - 4-6-2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4kJvslK-qw

Yesterday, I posted our "Running Out of Time" from our show on tour at The Naked Lounge in Sacramento, April 6, 2011. Here is our next song in the set list that night, "P.S. It's You." I really like "P.S. It's You." It's a song I penned during my Summer Songburst creativity period in August 2010. For years, we closed shows with "Running Out of Time." I think we will be using "P.S. It's You" in a role like that for some time to come.

It's been an incredible weekend. We had maybe the best band practice I've ever been involved with for The Jefferson Jay Band on Friday. The great vibe was in the house. Awesome jamming. Blowski, Paul Ruiz, Soul Man, Richard Romero, the lovely Leanne on drums, and myself. We really had a blast. Then last night, Steve and Tara's wedding was epic. And the whole band is coming to Wynola Pizza Express tonight near Julian to celebrate my birthday. Hooray. It feels nice to be a blessed man.

This set featured Wes Davis on drums and Blowski on keys. Special thanks to Alex Race for filming.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 144 "You Don't Have To Cry" by Stephen Stills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xx14xi5aYA

Like many other covers I've done here on the 365, I've always enjoyed this tune. It was in my head for a minute just now when it came time to do this and I was glad I hadn't used it up yet. I have great memories of sitting in my dorm room with my friend Paola, Alex Race's wife now incidentally, and some other friends, harmonizing some Crosby, Stills and Nash songs, having a jolly old time. This song I think is sweet. My voice is a little haggard from all the awesomely fun Steve and Tara wedding stuff yesterday, but it's OK. I think the enormous zit on my head is big enough to distract from that anyway.

Kisses and peace.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 144 "Tara and Steve"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxR9eOcoZcA

This is one of the most significant videos I have posted on the 365 so far for many reasons. First and foremost is I wrote this tune earlier in the week for my dear friends Steve and Tara, who got married yesterday. It was a wonderful ceremony. Everyone had tons of fun. I feel great about Steve and Tara and their promise of enjoying the rest of their lives together. Cory Wilkins Band played. I sat in. So did Steve. I MC'd. That was fun. Leanne and I danced and got drunk and a bunch of our other friends were there celebrating too. It was an awesome time.

I wanted to share this song with them, but I hadn't got down singing and playing it at the same time yet, so I recorded the guitar in iMovie and then did my Screenflow thang to put the vocals in. With that, I was able to also have the lyrics on screen. Thanks to Nigel the Puppy who rebounded from falling out the window of my moving car in the morning to make a sweet cameo rocking in my arms. Nigel was not harmed in the near-death experience, Leanne caught him by the leash. He must have been flailing there like a rubber chicken for a few seconds. He emerged unscathed.

So I burned a CD for Tara and Steve. I walked into the living room where they were putting together a little video presentation for the couple and they wound up including this here "Tara and Steve" video in it. After, Steve took the mic for the only time in the whole thing and said some generous words about me. They gave me cake and everybody sang "Happy Birthday" to me, which was unexpected and hugely appreciated.

So here is a song that throws down how I really feel about these two little lovebirds who first met in the high school library of the school where they work. Romance comes when it feels like, and when it does, it feels real good. Cheers and congratulations to Steve and Tara and everyone else who came and had a blast at their bash. I'm sure none of will never forget it. I wish I could tell you all the funny jokes I'm thinking right now. Scandalous. Oh, and Leanne caught the bouquet. Ha!

No comments: