Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 131

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 139 Jefferson Jay and J. Mitchell - 10-6-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVf8bCyR-3g

Here we are, back at my Open Mic, on October 6, 2009. In those days, Richard Romero would start the show on Tuesday 9Open Mic night) and Thursdays (my weekly showcase featuring some of the best talents at the Open Mic). There were a couple of folks regularly featured in the second spot over the four and a half years this Open Mic existed. Ricardo Gutierrez jumps to mind first. Don Truesdail held that spot a number of times. At about this time, latish 2009, I met J. Mitchell. The first night he came out, he was there before me, watching Richard Romero, presumably.

A fellow named Scott... Sean? Scott... Well Sean or Scott was his name, I learned, shortly after arriving, had just saved J. Mitchell's life. Apparently, he was choking on something and Sean/Scott calmly, smoothly got up Heimliched J. Mitchell, saved his life, and the show went on just like that, and the show hadn't even started yet. That was my show.

So here, a little while later, I introduced the start of the show. You can see Richard Romero standing behind me. You can see how I encourage my audience to get involved and applaud. It worked you can see by the astounding ovations received by otherworldly one-of-a-kind human J. Mitchell. He proceeds to kill it both comically and musically, as only he can. I then return to introduce the next performer, Mr. Fish Tacos. Enjoy.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 139 "You Give Love A Bad Name" - Bon Jovi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMgvfAY9um8

Here is a little ditty that came out when I was in Junior High. I am still feeling croony and this song seemed like it might fit the bill. I remember like it was yesterday, walking through shop class. Mr. Samse, I believe. when Liz Iomazzo, who was an aspiring popular girl at the time, was singign this song to herself, stopped dead in her tracks and said to me, "You know, you DO give love a bad name." Ha! It's amazing the stuff that sticks with you from your formative years.

So here is some Bon Jovi, a band that arguably gives New Jersey a bad name. Well, I guess it's pretty hard to do that, now that I think about it. Probably the biggest mystery ever is how that band is still so popular, over 20 years later. Maybe that's unfair. I admit it. I loved their "Slippery When Wet," album. I was 12. I particularly liked, "Never Say Goodbye," and "I'd Die For You." What a sappy kid I must have been back then... I liked 80's Chicago music too. I'd have to say I'm pretty fortunate I've turned as well as I have in terms of musical taste. Thanks to Phish and all my old buddies at UMASS for a huge assist on that one.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 139 "Because of You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW1b9TiRFtY

So some of my friends said, "Hey, Jefferson. The funniest thing about Operation 365 is that you do all those videos from that same chair when you live surrounded by beautiful nature." I paraphrased that but it resonated with me. I had been thinking that it is time to reinvent the 365 a bit to keep it growing, interesting and fresh, for myself and whoever else is listening. So consider this Day One of that.

This spot I filmed from today is about 1000 feet from that seat. I'm sitting in it right now. Pads and Reds are tied 2-2 in the 9th. Thanks to votkasports.com for their helpful stream of the ballgame. Honestly, I've watched maybe one pitch, but it's in the background while it's close and tied and I'm typing. So, I still need to figure out a thing or two about the wind factor, but hey, it's day one. I like this tune. I just made it up when I stepped on the sand there by the steps down to the beach, but I liked it enough that I played it three times to get the f-ups out and make sure I played at least one version right.

Who is "Because of You" about? It's about whoever you think it's about, because once you hear it, the song is as much yours as mine. Whatever it means to you is valid. Equally valid to whatever the author thought. A thought is a thought. Maybe it means more to another person than it could ever mean to the author, for whatever reason. Who's to say that's wrong? Not I. Who's it about? I know who I think it's about. It's about "you."

No comments: