Saturday, May 14, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 165

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 171 Jefferson and The Soul Man Toast - 1-29-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CNPqrbmnRo

Here I enjoy a toast with one of my best friends ever, The Soul Man. We have known each other for almost ten years and he has been playing music with me in my band for about 8 or 9 of 'em. He is one of the coolest dudes I've ever known. He is 92 years old and he has such a centered, positive attitude about pretty much everything that it is infectious. He loves playing music and "the groove." He and I go back a ways and I expect we will go a long ways more. I love The Soul Man.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 171 "Blackbird" - by John Lennon and Paul McCartney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrZsFAQYPg4

I have been playing guitar for 16 years now, but to my Mom, whether I can play guitar or not is a question test and that question is "Can you play Blackbird?" I used to consider that the Holy Grail. One day I was a t a party at my friend Bill Thomas's house and I said I couldn't learn it. Then when we returned to the living room, a guy happened to be playing it and I learned it on the spot. It was a col day. Eventually, I played it for my mom and more or less forgot it. So today is my Mom's birthday. When I asked her if there was anything I could do for her on the 365 for her birthday, she predictably replied "Blackbird." So although, I am still pretty sick her this Saturday, I practiced and got it going for Ma.

I'm not gonna lie. When recording time came, it took me roughly three million tries. This song is tough. Thank God it's only two minutes and eighteen seconds. So I got it eventually, in one take even. Happy Birthday Ma. I hope you enjoy it. Maybe this birthday presentation can make you a convert to the 365. That's this, Ma. Stick around til the end for some funny and poignant outtakes from my million other tries and a unique window into the reality that is my life.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 171 "Raindrop in the Ocean"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smuqM0xuuCA

So re-learning and playing "Blackbird," was not enough for me to do for my Mom on her birthday here. How could it be from the guy who brings you Operation 365 when any reasonable person would agree that Operation 100, with 3 videos a day, is WAY more than enough. Not for me. I like to do things differently. I like to them ways other people wouldn't even consider trying. Sometimes, this is a burden. Other times, it's a gift. It's like life in that way. Especially for me, considering it IS my life.

So I wrote this tune for my Mom here today. How do you thank the person who gave you life and raised you? Is there any adequate way? I think not. That why this song is called "Raindrop in the Ocean," which is short for "Thanking You's a Raindrop in the Ocean." There is never enough I could say. I love you and thank you so much for everything you've done for me. I hope you enjoy this attempt here to express the thanks that can not possible be conveyed in words or song. At least that's the point, I was aiming to make, here now. I love you. Happy Birthday Ma.

No comments: