Friday, May 27, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 178

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 184 Jefferson Jay - "Boil Me In Oil" - 11-17-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7dGdb6K4ws

Seemed appropriate. I wrote "Boil Me In Oil" after I had my old Monte Carlo for ten years. I loved that car so much. Got me out to California and back and forth across the country twice. I was so indebted to that car for never getting me killed and lord knows, I gave it enough chances to. "Boil Me In Oil" appears on "Yellow" CD, by the way, which can be heard or purchased here jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com now.

Speaking of "Yellow," about five years ago, I bought my current car, a cream-colored (yellowish) Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S. I named him "Puffy," but in recent years, my friends have taken to calling him The Bananamobile, and that seems to fit as well. Not as glamorous or inglamourous (an in infamous) as my Monte Carlo, this vehicle also protected me on the roads perfectly for a significant period of time. We grew very close. I always have felt extremely comfortable driving him, and it is a melancholy moment for me to say least, to know very shortly, he will be moving to a new home.

I hate to let him go. I have recently acquired a Volkswagen EuroVan, ironically known as the Tealmobile, as this whole "mobile" motif was unplanned. I am just not in a position to be a one-man two-car household these days and the ride that fits the whole band is the van, so it stays and sadly, "Puffy" goes. Still haven't found a great candidate for purchaser yet, but it is imminent. I can feel it. Kind of sucks. I am so much more comfortable kicking back in its's weet Sedan style, and while no car will ever be my Monte Carlo, I am a loyal guy. What can I say? I wish you well, oh, Arthur J. Puffarelli, (his full name). May your next home be as loving and tight knit, as this one has been. I will miss you, big-time.

A final shout out goes to Zsa Zsa Gabor, who gets mentioned in this tune and may be gone, even before my Oldsmobile. Zsa Zsa, thank you for being human and interesting. See you all in the next beyond. Finally, this was recorded on November 17, 2009 and features Paul Ruiz on trumpoet and The Soul Man, who is 92, and is going to outlive each last one of us, on guiro.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 184 "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - The Rolling Stones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dIBO85PpG0

Hard to believe it but I think this might be my first Stones tune in the 365. Hard to believe you can get through 183 days and not accidentally stumble on a Stones tune. "You Can't Always Get What You Want" has been in my head a for a few days. I had no idea I'd be playing it on banjo, but it worked. Love the banjo. While it's true that you can;t always get what you want, it certainly doesn't mean stop trying. I have a few bullets left in this gun of mine and I have no desire or willingness to be a sub, or a teacher even, to much longer. I believe I have plenty of talent and plenty to offer and I do not wish to leave it all lying and rotting inside me.

Let's face it. San Diego is a wasteland for a talented person to be. You can have great friends and great times, which I do. I cherish that and wouldn't trade it for anything, but something's gotta give. I am not willing to fritter my life away doing meaningless work just cause so many other people think that's what you have to do. I don't. I can't host shows and I feel a huge compulsion to give something back to the world that I live in. I feel a sense of brotherhood with all the other people on the planet and if I don't do everything I can to at least entertain and at most, inspire and enlighten folks to the great gift we have that is life, then I feel I've missed the whole opportunity I've been given here. I can't let that go down without a fight.

What to do? That is the million dollar question, isn't it? I'm not entirely sure, obviously, or I would have done it already. Leave SD more. Believe that big things can happen. That is huge. Keep trying. Go with the flow. We will see. Life is exciting. Isn't it?

Oh, I only played this one time ever. This time. Not too shabby...

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 184 "Hello Fellow Earthlings"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFV6tpML1lM

This was a new experiment. It may lead to a direction I go often as the 365 begins its' grand descent into completion. So, for the first time, I threw a capo on the banjo. That was cool. I wanted to play C, F and G, but I didn't want it to sound the same as all the other tunes. Hail the capo. Then I needed lyrics. I fished around my computer and a newer notebook briefly for something to sing, but nothing popped up quickly. So I went into my massive archives, which are there for just that reason. I have about 80 or so composition notebooks that I've been writing in for years, since 1992. They are collections of my thoughts, feelings, opinions, and ideas, and occasionally some lyrics live there as well.

I grabbed a "random" book, and opened to a "random" page, which happened to be page one. It was my book "Alternative to Patience." They mostly have names. Then I switched from page one, I just remembered, to something later in the book. I found a thing I wrote, probably in 1993, called "Hello Fellow Earthlings." It is about how we, the Earth's inhabitants, all have a lot more in common, than we typically tend to focus on. This would become quite clear, if some non-Earth-based life forms were to present themselves. This song encourages us to focus on the bonds based in these similarities, instead of all the things that separate us, so needlessly. I hope to share more from these books in the weeks and months to come. Sharing is caring, they say. I agree.

Some people seek to benefit from pitting people against each other. Some call it capitalism, That rapture liar Harold Camping is one of those people. I would like to see that trend reverse.

NOTE: youtube "suggests" I add "sean" to my tags every singe day. What's up with that? Who's "sean?" Can never trust that youtube...

No comments: