Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 168

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 174 The Jefferson Jay Show: Episode 2; Part 2 - "Prelude To Parade" - 2-24-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z0CcjKLUm0

Here is Part 2 of my much anticipated The Jefferson Jay Show: Episode 2. This footage was filmed by Dylan Avery. Those of you who can somehow remember what happened in Part One. If you can't, go here to catch up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SdwZaWoRA

My crew (Blowski, Dylan, Jeff Dewine) and I, were participating in the Mardi Gras parade along with the folks at govavi.com. They are doing very well here, running a business that helps adults play kickball, and other important stuff like that. Here in Episode 2, we were all preparing to head on the float for the first of two little parades that night. Here, we see the sights and get to know some of the crazy characters of govavi, including the guy in charge and a dude I know who talks about being a Buddhist and a soldier. Did I mention our float went right after the Cheetah's float. Cheetah's is a local stripping establishment. Enjoy the festivities found here in Part 2, "Prelude to Parade."

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 174 "Nectar From The Vine" by Wes Davis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4goJ0Pr80

"Nectar From The Vine" is another of my favorite Wes Davis tunes by my songwriting friend, Wes Davis. He has many. You may recall, we went on a Northern California tour in early April. It was tons of fun. I have been sick for a week. It is sucking. I have been sitting around today, hoping to finally recover. Do you like my sick uniform? I was going to try to do something simple to not add more stress to my system. I tried, "Don't Worry, Be Happy," and some other tune, but it just wasn't happening. What song do I love and know on banjo? "Nectar From the Vine."

This tune is great. Some of my favorite parts of the shows on the tour were joining Wes for "Nectar From the Vine." I hope he likes my version and I hope you do too. Please check out Wes Davis at wesdavismusic.com or on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/westernplains

Thank you, Wes.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 174 "Kltpzyxm"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTXh5nJky4E

Yesterday, I was trying to throw down my "A Baby Boy Is Born," in honor of my new nephew, Jacob. I was struggling. I haven't played much piano since being liberated from my teaching assignment. I was anxious and rusty. So I busted out this piece of songery to try to loosen myself up a bit, and what do ya know, it worked. Someone I played tunes with long ago, would describe this as "in the key of Jeff." That phrase predates me playing an actual instrument and adjusting my name to Jefferson, so you know it was a long time ago. Some things, very few, never change.

Some people may think that this is a wild song so I named it with a crazy bunch of random letters, 'cause it'd be fitting. Others will know that's not so. I loved the "Super Friends" cartoon when I was a boy and one one of the many characters I liked was Mr. Mxyzptlk. This enigmatic, floating elf type guy, gave Superman fits, but only until one of the Super Friends could trick his silly ass, into saying his name backwards, at which he would be yanked back to the 5th dimension. Wherever that is. I always thought that was wild, interesting, and as close to random as you're ever gonna get. So... here it is, my solo piano explosion, "Kltpzyxm." Learn it if you want, piano virtuosos, but do so at your own risk.

No comments: