Saturday, May 28, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 179

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 185 Jefferson Jay - "Killing's Wrong" - 11-17-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bRan_jDGxg

This is spirited version of my seminal hit, "Killing's Wrong," found on my album "Blue; A Kid's Album," available here jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/album/blue-a-kids-album

Be the first person ever to buy my album on bandcamp. Please.

I just realized that I recorded this version of "Killing's Wrong" the day I sold my beloved Monte Carlo. I had no idea. Yesterday, I posted a song about that car, recorded this very same set, just before actually. Here I am again, on the verge of selling another beloved vehicular friend. My Cutlass Ciera, "Puffy," is available now. He'll be gone soon too and makes me sad, but what can you do?

Speaking of things that were close to my heart and now are finally gone. Portugalia, the venue I gave my heart and soul to, for four and a half years has finally closed its doors. "There comes a time when we heed a certain call," says the first line of "We Are The World." This "Killing's Wrong" was recorded at my Open Mic there on November 17, 2009. Paul Ruiz joins me on trumpet and The Soul Man on guiro. A very spirited participation from the crowd that night adds quite a bit of spunk to these festivities.

Death is part of life, for cars, venues, animals, and people, even... Killing's Wrong. Death isn't. Such a fine line.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 185 "Santeria" by Sublime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5b7c1aFIHE

This is a great tune by Bradley Nowell of Sublime. Took me awhile to get it close to my satisfaction today, but we got there, more or less. Slight relapse on the voice tip, but I'm feelin' fine. Hope you are too. L'chiem.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 185 "The Milnes School Rap"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVg1E9K75c0

Talk about going old school. Literally. So if you really want to dig into it, I guess this is where it all started. The first song I ever wrote? It must be. So we were in 6th grade. Rap was new to the scene. Seems appropriate given the passing of rap forefather Gil Scot-Heron yesterday, not sure that's my motivation here though. Who knows? So rap was new and my best friend at the time, Chris Boghosian, had the idea that we should write a rap tune about the 6th grade. We had all just discovered girls. We were going to "boy-girl parties" for the first time. It was an exciting time.

It was a Sunday night. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was in the kitchen in The House of Love (where I grew up). Must have been just after 10:30PM because Sports Extra with Bill Mazer was on Fox, right about the time it first became a network. I felt inspiration strike. It must have been the first time ever that sensation struck, but like now, I knew better than to deny it. So I grabbed a pencil and a piece of paper, much like I do to this day, when inspiration visits, and I started writing the words to "The Milnes School Rap."

The next day, I unleashed it to my classmates before school as we waited outside to be let in. Chris was pissed and I can't say I blamed him. It was his idea we do it together and then I go do the whole thing. I didn't plan it that way. It just happened. Sorry Bogo. Laura Currie and Erin Bleiweiss both had lovely voices. The three of us were in a theoretical singing band called "Youth." I say theoretical, 'cause we never actually did anything, but they DID, sing the intro to the jam. In fact, they may have made it up. It sounded really good when they sang it, which was predictable because they were two very talented young girls. Years later, Laura and I starred in "Little Shop of Horrors" and Erin and I performed in several Masques productions together including lead roles in a show called "While The Lights Were Out," under the direction of the legendary Thomas Ratzin.

A bit later, there was a 6th grade Milnes School talent show. Danny Meyer and I did a couple rap songs. We wrote another one called "It's Not Possible," and I did this one for the assembled masses. Milnes School principal Linda Schoeppler was not so keen on the message in the lyrics that the whole school sucked except the 6th grade. What can I tell ya? That was my view at the time. I can see a lot of similarities between me then and me now, looking back on this. Perhaps that's why they call them formative years.

Shout-outs to Frank "Macaroons" Gordon, Mark Evans (whose verse I just realized I forgot in this version), Chris Boghosian, my man Tony Russo (referred to here as Chris's bodyguard Ace,) Jason Patterson, Danny, Laura, Erin, and Jackie VanderBeek, for inspiring me as a youth. A final acknowledgement to Tonys 6th grade autograph book, which makes an appearance. Tony, you're the man, always.

No comments: