Sunday, May 8, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 159

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 165 Jefferson Jay - "May" - 2-12-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krOkSFGIE9I

Today is the 165th day of Operation 365. What significance does that have, you may ask? Well, it means there are only 200 days left 'til Operation 365 is completed. Can you imagine? I can't. That's why I am posting this song "May" today. May it happen. We will see.

Here is my song "May," recorded on February 12, 2010. It was a new song at the time. It is a song that asks the universe for good things to happen in the summer ahead. I am resubmitting that request to the universe here. May summer bring sunshine, light and as much momentum as I can muster towards that elusive, number 365.

And Happy Mother's Day to my mom, who is a May baby herself. May she have a wonderful summmer. Thank you for everything, Ma. This one is dedicated to you.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 165 "The Dukes of Hazzard" by Waylon Jennings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEwnKTZ3KU

I have two main memories of this one. The first, of course, occurs, in the early eighties, eagerly awaiting every Friday night, when I could watch "The Incredible Hulk," "The Dukes of Hazzard," and "Dallas" with my dad. At one point, I joined Cub Scouts. It met on Friday night. That wasn't going to work. I bailed shortly thereafter. I was willing to hang with Anthony Dionisio, Chris Capone, and his mom, when I could be home watching The Dukes. I never wanted to be a WeBlo anyway. That's what they called the advanced level of Cub Scouts. Seriously. I think that was maybe the first thing I ever quit in my life. Today this day, I am a huge proponent of quitting shit that sucks. No offense, Chris Capone's mom.

The biggest memory of this song though, for me, is from the late nineties though. Back then I lived in San Francisco and I didn't like it very much. I found people to be very unhappy and uncool. Everybody acted like they were cool but hey were bad actors, and I wasn't buying it one bit. So for fun, I would go to Marin County and see my friends' band, Jumbo. They were very popular in that area at the time and every time I would go see them I would have a blast. I would get to sit in sometimes, sing a little, socialize with the ladies. I loved it. They had a huge house too and we would always have a blast when we got together. SO many great memories. Well, they covered this tune often. This one, "Fat Albert," "Fairies Wear Boots, "Sesame Street," "We're An American Band." They picked really cool covers. It added to their awesome show. Noah King would sing lead on "The Dukes of Hazzard," and it always gave me a thrill.

I still love the Jumbo dudes. Don;t see them as much as I used to, but we created a fond place in my memory that will be with me forever. Thanks dudes. Belchertown Power. They are all from Belchertown, MA. I met a few of 'em, way back when I was in a band at UMASS with their buddy/drummer Jesse Rudolph, another awesome dude. Jesse was the first dude I was ever in a band with who actually listened to what everyone was playing. In a way, discovering that was like being born for me. Playing music with people who don't listen, no matter how good they are, is not as rewarding, as you might imagine.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 165 "Up and Down"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhLRl7CF7g

I wrote "Up and Down" many years ago. It took me a minute to re-remember it. I still think the instrumental mid-section is slightly different, but I think that's alright. This song is about the ups and down of daily life. When you know what you should do and what is up, but are still struggling to get yourself to do it. I was in that place for quite a time. Not that I've got everything worked out now, but I am much happier than I was, say 12 years ago, and for some reason, that is on my mind here today. I like this song. Not sure I played it out ever, but it's got some nice music. A little capo action too.

This song theorizes, like 11:59 to midnight, there is some moment and up and down become each other, "when all things turn around," if you will. Sometimes it's seems easier to go around the back way, go so far down you get to up, then it would be clawing and scratching back from nothing. Kinda like digging your way to China. This is a theoretical song. I put it out in a little thing I did in 2004 called "RANDOM EP." Before I put CDS out, and even a little bit since, I still record things that I don't really share with many people, basically the opposite of the 365. This song was on one of those things. I think I wrote it in like '99 though. Lots of ups and down then for me.

No comments: