Monday, May 23, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 174

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 180 The Greens of Mind "Moondrop" - 6-8-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-6PzszpO00

Here at Operation 365, we have been presenting the entire set of The Greens of Mind at The Athenaeum Music and Arts Library in La Jolla, from June 8, 2009. I wrote my Master's Thesis for San Diego State University on the history of this venerable institution. It led to the Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum with Jefferson Jay series. The Athenaeum has showcased jazz and chamber music in their beautiful sanctuary for music. I felt some of San Diego's finest acoustic talents would fit nicely alongside those performers and the folks at The Athenaeum agreed.

This particular show was one of the finest in the series as Billy Bushwalla, known associate of multi-platinum recording artist Jason Mraz, and former Frank Zappa sideman, Mike Keneally filled out the bill. The Greens were dressed nicely and ready to roll this night, The show was entirely acoustic, a challenge enjoyed by my fellow Greens and I. The other Greens are Barabara Tolbert on vocals, Charlotte James on violin and guitar and Justin Mills on cello.

"Moondrop" was another song I wrote specifically for this group more or less. I love "Moondrop." It was one of my favorite tunes I've ever written. I gave Barbara the opportunity to write the girl part, but she was like "..." So I said " OK, I'll do it." Moments later, "Moondrop" was finished. I like it a lot. To me, it is reminiscent of a musical version of the old silent movies where the arch-villain tied the damsel in distress to the train tracks. I borrowed a little taste of Tom Waits vocal stylings and invented a cosmic libation, hence the "moonrdrop," and the rest is musical history.

Special thanks to Steve Laub and Dave Foster of Laubster Video for the filming and producing expertise.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 180 "My Old School" by Steely Dan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_oPLCi5pnk

My voice is too shot to sing, I'm afraid. Laryngitis is in the house. Let's see how I creatively get around this one. I surprised my self with this one. I was looking for a tune I could do on an exotic instrument (I have several). Maybe I'd do in instrumental. Make it my own somehow. Meanwhile. I typed Steely Dan and C into google (the banjo's easier for me in C) and guess what. "My Old School" is in C. I love this jam. Who doesn't? It's a tad rough. My voice is torn up. I need to rest it, so I can't be doing it over and over again or anything, but it is decent. I got through, It's not everyday you hear "My Old School" on banjo. I love Steely Dan. I want to go see the at The Greek Theater in July. Just need to scrape up and extra 150 dollars. That's all. We'll see.

I just remembered Steely Dan was in my dream last night. I have been having tons of vivid dreams lately, some more pleasant than others.I was peeking in the room to see if I could catch a glimpse of Donald Fagen. I couldn't, but I did see Walter Becker, tearing it up on guitar. That was pretty cool. Did I mention my band opened for Steely Dan in 2006. Yes. That was pretty cool too.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 180 "180"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXfXstVK2iQ

In honor of the 180th day of Operation 365, I penned a little poem called "180." I threw a pretty little banjo part behind it and voila! "180" is about changing whatever you don't like about your life so you do, instituting the proverbial 180.

No comments: