Sunday, July 3, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 215

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 221 Richard Romero's Compass - 7-30-2009 - Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmAenIgjQPA

Today is Richard Romero Appreciation Day Part One. Where to begin? Richard is an incredibly talented musician. I am blessed to have him as a friend and playing bass in my band, When he first joined The Jefferson Jay Band on bass, he hadn't even played bass really, but fast forward a couple years and he is playing awesome. We had a hugely great time playing at Humphrey's Backstage Lounge for Soul Man's birthday. It was packed. SRO. We played the pants off our new material. I really cherish Richard's wisdom and feedback. It adds huge amounts to what we're doing and it makes it tons of fun. I learn a lot.

Here, on Paul Lopez's birthday in 2009, July 30th, Richard kicked off yet another great Thursday night of music at the old Portugalia. This night, he add a fine lineup of all-stars backing him up. During this period, we called the group, Richard Romero's Compass. Richard creates great music, a sort of fusion throwback, featuring many of the best elements of the great usic of the 1970's. He is also a master of many effects. He harmonizes with himself. He's got tons of tricks up his sleeve like that. He also shreds John McLaughlin-inspired solos, plays a synth guitar, loops and all sorts of things.

Here, Richard is joined by Junior "Soul Man" Fos on guiro, Paul Lopez on congas, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Misha Borisovsky on violin, Harley Magsino on bass, and some other horn player who almost be heard and not seen. This song is so long, over twenty minutes that I broke it into two pieces. Part One, today. Part Two, tomorrow. I don't know the name of it yet. Sorry for that.

What I love most about these clips is both parts feature some really special close-ups of Soul Man, Richard, and my other friends. Soul Man is in his 90's. 92, 93, 94.... Something like that. It is something very special that this footage exists. It means a great deal and I'm sure it will only mean more as time moves forward.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 221 "It's Alright to Cry" by Carol Hall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0abqb36gaY

I'm a nostalgic guy, in case you didn't know. That's probably why I have a Master's in History. Doesn't appear to be for any job-related reason... So I am thinking back often to good times that happened in the past. I was going to learn another song from Magic Garden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15lr5LCyelQ

A group named Pure Chemistry found my Magic Garden and encouraged me to do the theme song like they did right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97U_pbCJD-o

I was going to, but it seemed kind of involved and I audibled over to this tune from the classic 70's kids' album, "Free to Be, You and Me," called "It's Alright to Cry." Did you know I have a kids' album. It's true. I do. Visit proof.

http://jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/album/blue-a-kids-album

My voice is a little haggard from singin' my heart out at our Soul Man's birthday, Jefferson Jay Band gig at Humphrey's last night for Soul Man's birthday. It went well. Leanne's dad, Tom Pearl, sat in with us on trumpet. A very special night. Rosey Grier, an ex NFLer, sang "It's Alright to Cry" on the record, so I thought those that fact and my raspiness might go well together. Good enough for me, I say.
Dig it.

http://jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/album/blue-a-kids-album

My voice is a little haggard from singin' my heart out at our Soul Man's birthday, Jefferson Jay Band gig at Humphrey's last night for Soul Man's birthday. It went well. Leanne's dad, Tom Pearl, sat in with us on trumpet. A very special night. Rosey Grier, an ex NFLer, sang "It's Alright to Cry" on the record, so I thought those that fact and my raspiness might go well together. Good enough for me, I say.
Dig it.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 221 "The Puppies Are Fighting"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur_AN_TpOps

PC Alert: No puppies were harmed whatsoever in the making of this video. Yahoo Answers says this, "Play fighting is a normal, and important, part of puppy growth. The more you are able to allow puppies to socialize with other dogs and people the better." is the answer to this question, "How do I discourage play fighting between my puppies?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070328135851AAKp1mU

The Yahoo Answer to the question "Puppies play fighting?" (Nice question) is, "At first, just before a fight begins one dog will raise their hackles up, standing still stiff and stare at the other dog. If the other dog returns a stare, and also stands still stiff and/or raises their hackles up, a fight will most likely start."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080127122552AATYSd7

We had no such hackles, (what's a hackle?) standing still, stiff or staring. It was far more active than that. Of course starting my discussion of this adorable with this disclaimer is absurd, but living in post-Michael Vick America, it seems necessary. The combatants in the puppy play fight are of course, my boy, Nigel and our friend, the adorable Mr. Pibb. Mr. Pibb is a foster pup my neighbors are watching. We are all hoping they keep him. He is cute. Pibb and Nigel like to mix it up. Angel, my lab mix, doesn't want to deal with the fracas, but she manages. I hope you enjoy my cute, old time video, "The Puppies Are Fighting."

No comments: