Saturday, July 9, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 221

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 227 Justin Mills "Saving Up" 2-12-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzMIBdinHnE

Lately, I've found myself really appreciating Justin Mills and his music on the weekends. I will be sharing three of "The General's" songs from that night the next few days here. Justin Mills was like nobody else on our music scene. Everybody loved his songs. He had no ego that anybody could detect. He was very quiet. This was recorded on February 12, 2009. Justin had been joining my show on Thursday nights for some time. His run was about to end. By does he write great tunes. I played with him on bass for awhile, but now I very deliberately posting some tunes where I don't join him on bass. There's something special about hearing him play them by himself.

Recently, he and I have had the chance to hang out some and that is always fun. I was so in love with his songwriting styling, I wrote a tune a couple weeks ago, called "I'll Take You," where I wrote in a himmish sort of way, as best I could. I was super flattered he liked the tune. He learned it and posted a cover of it (he plays with his lovely fiancee Adrianna Martin-Morningstar) I was touched and flattered. I would give you the lin, but it is currently unavailable. Sorry. More Mills manyana. Peace

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 227 "Moving On Up" - Ja'net Dubois and Jeff Barry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-v51zDbCBI

I have a special affection for this song 'because it was the theme song to "The Jeffersons," and like the man who wrote The Declaration of Independence, I am a Jefferson, and proud of it. Less proud am I, of the fact that my voice is torn up and gone (I have no idea why) and I had to sing this song in that mode in the name of the 365. It's alright, though. Everything happens for a reason. We are moving on up. My voice will feel better soon

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 227 "Captain 3000"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nleSswF3o8A

While I was taking a nap, Derek Jeter became the 29th player in Major League Baseball history to get his 3,000th hit. I am a huge sports fan and an even bigger baseball fan. I love the Yankees more than those other two put together. To love the Yankees is to love their Captain, Derek Jeter. I could say a million things about Jeter, but I will keep it simple. Derek, thank you for being awesome and always setting such a great example for kids on how to play the game and for adults on how to carry yourself publicly. Thanks even more for those awesome 5 World Series rings, especially 1996. So sweet.

Me? Well, I took a nap 'cause my back hurt. My voce is half gone. Sorry, Jetes, I had to sing your song so froggily. I feel great though. Congrats, Jeter. Yanks lead 5-4 in the 9th against the Rays. Mariano on to get the save. Captain 3000. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Thanks to espn.com for the idea on the title. Peace.

NOTE: I think I said Jeter was the 29th guy to get 3000 hits in the song. I must have misread some graphic they showed. The broadcast just said he was 28th. If I'm wrong, sorry, Kisses. Let's get The Yanks a 28th World title here in 2011. That would rule.

No comments: