Thursday, July 28, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 240

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 246 Wes Davis and Becca Warner "Wandering" 7-28-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MvhMnaul8

Wes and Becca were joined by chromatic harmonica player, Ray Turner for this performance of their sweet tune "Wandering," recorded at my Open Mic on July 28, 2009. You can see Miss Warner is sharp and and top of things, shimmying as she plays her ukelele all the while. You can also see from my unique camera angle that occasionally the mic stand looks like an old school bad guy mustache on Senor Davis. Well, I assure you, that was mere happenstance.

I am a huge fan of this duo and have been for some time. I want to congratulate them on their purchase of a sailboat, the Columbia 30. I hope they are just as sharp as Becca in this vid as they sail the seven seas, exploring the world. There are seven seas, right? Atlantic. Pacific. Indian. Arctic. Hmmmm... Running out of seas.... Caspian? Red Sea? Dead Sea? I don't know. As long they know, or the maps they have know, and they know to read them, I guess thats all that matters. Be safe world travelling friends. I intend to be amigos many years more, so stay afloat.

In other news, Mr. Davis, also a health guru, turned me on to this 80-10-10 diet. It involves easting about 30 bananas a day or something. I still have more reading to do to even understand it. Sounds pretty cool. It's good to know some people who are authorities on stuff.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 246 "Red Rubber Ball" by Paul Simon and Bruce Woodley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69ti-tpxQQ

I had no idea Paul Simon co-wrote "Red Rubber Ball." It sounds pretty Simon-ish, but I knew he didn't play it so... The 1966 hit version of it was performed by The Cyrkle. I always loved this tune. Mom used to play in the car from time to time. I think the 45 was still around my house, back before, record players were outlawed in private citizen's homes. I guess the tippy cover art in all those albums was making people want to be rock stars. Uppity Americans...

Yes, so I rocked out "Red Rubber Ball" some, standing and dancing even. I slowed it down and rocked it up. What a fun tune!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 246 "The Thirsty Song" - 7-30-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr3ohoRfMkY

So this is a pretty funny. I co-wrote this song with a fairly non-co-operative Melissa Eisler. She said a thing or two. I stuck it in the lyrics and wrote the rest of the song. She can be a bit of a nay-sayer at times. I wouldn't write that except, you can clearly here her on this video talking about how bad this song, audibly, right after I finish playing it (1.59). I take that to mean she foregoes any interest she has in this song as a collaborator in it's authoring. She says how bad it is twice (1.59 and 2.17), once, right when I'm done playing (1.59, "sooo bad.") and then again, right after my "credits."(2.17, "it was really bad.") I then tell the audience I may never again play it live, and to this day, I never have. Probably never will... Someone yelled "we loved it." (2:10) Maybe I should go by that.

No comments: