Monday, July 11, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 223

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 229 Justin Mills "Little Darling" 2-12-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7hVH4nsfhg

Welcome to the crown jewel atop the Justin Mills Mount Rushmore. "Little Darling" makes "Stairway to Heaven" look like poo. OK. Exaggerating slightly, but Mr. Mills would want it no other way. Enjoy songwriting mastery at its finest in this clip from my Thursday show, February 12, 2009.

General Mills is a genius of the songwriting variety and a funny-ass SOB to boot. Love this guy. In fact, I ove him so much, that the only thing I love more than him in this entire world is this awesome song, "Little Darling." I'll never forget when he played it at the OB Farmer's Market on July 2, 2008. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a very emotional day for me. OK... Here's why.

On June 28, 2008, we did the "24 Hours of Free Music" show. It was pic, awesome, and a thousand other superlatives. It was a Utopian experience. Lots of folks worked together selflessly to ensure it went smoothly. I was very proud of the whole thing. I had recorded the whole thing on my computer for the audio to what would become the "24 Hours of Free Music" movie. A fine film, if I may say so myself.

The whole thing looked like it might in jeopardy for a moment though. On Tuesday, July 1, 2008, we celebrated The Soul Man's 90th birthday at Portugalia, same spot as the "24 Hours." I gave everyone the night off for their fine work Saturday and I ran sound and recorded it all. At 4:15AM, it was time to go. In an gentlemanly gesture, I agreed to walk a young lady around the building to her car. In a big mistake, I left all my stuff (computer, mics, hard drive with all the sound recordings on it) unattended for a few minutes. Someone crawled out of the woodwork and stole it.

We searched the dark alley for awhile with no success. I was devastated. I felt I had let everyone down. I was so distraught The next day, the hunt continued. We called Robin Lee for advice, she said "Make a sign and put it up." We did. Blowski led me through e streets of Ocean Beach, schmoozing with homeless folk. Blowski doesn't even care for the homeless much, but he knew rapport with them, could greatly aid out goal of getting the stuff back. I was a zombie, inconsolable. The hunt continued. The next day, we got Chuck Schiele to give us some time to play at the Farmer's Market and appeal to the community to return the stuff. The last thing I remember was walking away from The Market, back towards my apartment in tears. I could hear Justin Mills playing "Little Darling" as I made my way back home. It was the last straw I broke down emotionally.

The next evening, we got word that someone had bought my computer. We retrieved it. I swapped some stuff with the guy who bought it. They also told us where the guy who took the stuff was. A friend went to his homeless hovel and lo and behold, the rest of the stuff was there. A friend grabbed and marched back up to The Port, where we celebrated. I hugged a happy Don Truesdail and we all had an amazing Thursday night of fun and music. I am leaving out some hilarious details to protect the heroic. Sorry, but don't leave huge jugs of your own pee around and steal people's stuff unless you want that pee on whatever stuff you have left. Just saying. I didn't do it. That's just the story. Pretty amazing that the stuff came back. Even when shit went horribly wrong, it still managed to work out for us. It was a golden time.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 229 "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" by Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7mPpcc7mow

How have I not done "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" yet? I love baseball. This is one of the saddest days of the year for baseball fans, day one of the All-Star break. Translated - no baseball today. All 32 teams have the day off. Wednesday, too. Tomorrow is the All-Star game.

This was an even sadder day when I was a youth and had nothing else but baseball. Now I am fortunate to have other things to enjoy, but I still love me some national past time. It soothes me, relaxes me, except when the Yankees lose, then it pisses me off. Hate the payer, not the game, they say. Good point, them. Yes, I love me some baseball. Enjoy the national anthem of the national past time today, in lieu of actual baseball. Better still, go outside, do something fun. Dust off the old mitt, find a friends and... Play Ball!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 229 "Spinning"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0h9K03Nr2Y

"Spinning" is another new song I wrote last week. I'm on a little bit of a songwriting binge. The 365 makes for good motivation. So does my bandmate and friend, The Soul Man. He suggested I wrote more songs like my "P.S. It's You." We close with that one these days. Soul Man doesn't offer too may suggestions, so I try to take the ones that he does, real seriously. So I wrote a couple tunes last week, and "Spinning" was the one that came closest. I think "Spinning," here, has a lot of potential so I was sort of saving it 'til I had it all dialed in, but sometimes the 365 does not allow for such luxuries.

I spent a good while trying several takes on one of the first songs I ever wrote, "Floating." I wrote it with Scott Baslaw, in our side project The Demarests. It wasn't happening. "Spinning" came far more naturally, so be it. One take feels a lot better than 6. Another day for "Floating." In the meantime, please enjoy "Spinning." I like this one. I'm not sure it's done. Time will decide... Well, it won't, but after time passes, I will know.

No comments: