Friday, July 15, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 227

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 233 Rob Deez 2-7-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_HQYtSneN8

My friend Rob Deez is a charming character and the original acoustic hip hop MC. I would never call any of my friends a lovable loser, cause that's insulting but... This song is about how much he loves 40s (40 oz. beers). At the end he talks about how he so lonely and I stuck a hilarious anecdote from before this clip after. You'll see why. Yes, Rob is no loser. He's a hell of a guy. Tons of his songs just happen to be about his lack of luck with the ladies, and his DUI, and his work as a butt doctor's ASSisstant and various other funny things.

He seems like a closet romantic to me. At least that's what his song about the egg made me think. Here he is joined by his Barney Rubble, Josh Damigo. Don't get me wrong, Josh is far more than a Rubble, but Josh and Rob back each other up, on stage and off, as good friends often do. Very nice. I plan to share a bit more Deez here, because as another one of his songs states, he's "Deezarific." His license plate even reads "ROB DEEZ." His real name's Gary.

This was filmed on February 7, 2009. More Deez soon. Promise.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 233 "Cecilia" by Paul Simon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lyc54C6-Xg

Who doesn't love this Paul Simon classic? Nazis, that's who. Paul Simon is Jewish, I'm pretty sure. Nazis and Satan, that's all. Everybody loves "Cecilia." I had a young student named Cecilia once. I wanted to tell her about his song some, but then I realized it was inappropriate for a 3rd grader. She'll learn about it when she gets older, I suppose.. You think kids these days still run across Simon and Garfunkel. I have no idea. Well, I always thought htis song was sweet and I hope you be diggin' my version.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 233 "Too Fast"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfSEkv5qMi8

I was feeling the 5th fret capo thing from my "Cecilia" today, so I stuck with it. "Too Fast" is actually a really melancholy finger-picking tune with no capo. I even tried to play the original version on the 365 once or twice, but it wasn't co-operating, so today, I played it as fast as I could without messing up too badly. It makes the tune a lot less sad. That's for sure.

Long ago, I was engaged. Then I got disengaged. It was sad. We musicians use music as a tool to manage, handle and process our feelings at times like these and that is when this chord progression was written. I have kept playing it through the years, though never at a gig that I recall. It is good practice and it is an evocative progression, the way the chords roll into each other. It moves me.

It has a different feel here, in this piece, I'm calling "Too Fast." It is more fun. I bang my head some. You can tell how fast it's ging by how quickly my head bobs. Speaking of Bob, Bob makes mean bacon and salmon bagel sandwiches (separate sandwiches) at Your Mama's Mug here in OB. Just sharing, is all. Go Bob.

No comments: