Saturday, July 23, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 235

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 241 The Greens of Mind "Moondrop" - 12-11-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4oD9_gbRgM

I am really feeling this December 11, 2008 show. It is one of the oldest clips I have. I bought my video camera less than a week before for my 12 Hours of Free Music show December 6, 2008. Anything 2008 I love. The Donster was still around and that makes all the memories from back then very rosy. It was an innocent time for our world. This week, I have shared several clips form it.

So here is the sexiest side project I've ever played in. What can I say? I was really feeling sexy then. OK, maybe the girls helped a little. The girls are Barbara Tolbert, l, and Charlotte James, r. Together, they are Charbra,a fine young duo, I've showcased several times here in the 365. The Greens of Mind came together very quickly in the final months of 2008. I was very inspired bac then and wrote a handful of tunes for the project. This one, "Moondrop," was the final one I penned in this prolific period, and it is probably my favorite of them. It helped push my music in a different, more theatrical, bizarre direction. My roots artistically are in theater and it is fun to create characters and bring them to life in a song.

"Moondrop" features creepy, drunken, lecherous, villain guy. In the old days he would have been the one being the damsel in the distress to the railroad tracks. That guy is played here by me. Barbara plays the damsel here, and quite well, I find. "Moondrop" is a fictional drinking concoction and "Moondrop," the tune will always have a special place in my heart. Some friends and I jammed on it during the inaugural moment of 2009; Don, Blowski, Dewine, Justin, Steve Keaney. It was a farewell concert to the world as we knew it, although at the time it just seemed like hanging out, like we always did. Don's accident occurred less than two weeks later.

The Greens don't play too much these days, but maybe they'll make a comeback someday. In this world, you never know what is going to happen.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 241 "Sister Christian" by Kelly Keagy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Tbx6SF4fs

I'm embarrassed to admit how much time I spent recording "Sister Christian." It was a lot. I learned it, then I messed with this country version. I jumped ship to reggae version, aborted that idea and made an about face to chicken-pickin' country town. I made it through somehow.

I remember my babysitter Patty, a New Jersey metal chick, was seriously geeked up about Night Ranger, the band that brought us this moving power ballad. I learned that Kelly Keagy, Night Ranger's drummer, wrote "Sister Christian" about his 10-year old sister, Christy. How cute! Hey, they had a huge hit. Karma.

TAGS: sister christian, kelly keagy, bluegrass, country, reggae, Jefferson Jay, original, chicken-pickin, sister, christian, jewish, practice, deep thought, jewgrass, new Jersey, metal chick, Patty, babysitter, 80s music, Night Ranger, nightranger, new york rangers, texas rangers, nolan ryan, get well soon

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 241 "Now Is the Time For You To Eat Tacos"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcbSJa-pHXs

This is a new genius song I just wrote. I'm kinda brilliant that way I just realized.You really have to listen to this song, especially the lyrics, to understand exactly how much of a genius I really am. I actually amaze myself. If you believe that, please get sarcasm lessons immediately. In fact, I can give them to you, for $450 dollars an hour. I am available any time.

I am joined in the music dojo by wonder pooches Angel and Nigel, neighbor friends Nate and Jade, fresh back from Comic-Com and their super puppy, Mr. Pibb. I was inspired by Mexican food, moonlight, and months that end in Y. I ate a burrito today, so that almost makes this a method acting song, or a method song for short, but its acting, because I ate a burrito and not tacos.

One may allege I am losing my mind, but that would be invalid because that infers that I hadn't lost my mind already, which in fact, I may have. I don't know. Who follows these things? Who keeps track of who's mind is lost and who's is found? No one, I believe. I believe no one keeps track of that and therefore, it is my right to keep that information private. I may or may not have lost my mind and that is up to to me to know and you to find out, but only if I tell you. So there. Eat tacos.

No comments: