Monday, July 4, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 216

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 222 Richard Romero's Compass - 7-30-2009 - Part Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuxMcY07lGs

Here is part Two of Richard Romero's set on July 30, 2009. I have been scouring the archives for cool stuff from summers past. Highlights of the conclusion of Richard's first song that night include fabulous close-ups of Soul Man, Richard, and Independence Day birthday boy, Paul Ruiz. Happy birthday Paul!

Appearing here, we have Junior "Soul Man" Fos on guiro, Paul Lopez on congas, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Misha Borisovsky on violin, Harley Magsino on bass, and of course, Richard on guitar and vocals. Enjoy the best sounds of the 70's all at once here, coupled with a 21st century edge. Enjoy the music of Richard Romero. Peace.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 222 "My Country, 'Tis of Thee," lyrics by Samuel Francis Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAbnfePSfzM

Managed to share myself in red, white and blue today, singing a patriotic song. Even got George Washington's white hair on there.Happy Independence Day. I thought about posting this on facebook, "Recipe for the 4th: 3 parts revolution, several parts Native genocide, hundreds of years of race-based slavery. Mix 'em up and you get "The Greatest Nation in the History of the World." Enjoy!" I decided against it. Figured I'd save my double-propaganda rant for the blog Blowski countered with this offering, "picture this... the year was 1776, and today our founding fathers declared their independence from the tyrannical British Empire. Now, today we have become the empire. Don't forget my fellow compatriots, that we can declare our independence again, this time from a decade of directionless war, and decades of neglect for our own people and land. Enjoy your holiday! Remember that Independence Day celebrates being free from tyranny, and standing up for what's right under our own terms. Independence is up to us."

I liked his better. In case the symbolism of my cover was somehow, I posted the whole thing sped up and backwards after my "credits." I think that's pretty much where America is in relation to where it was at the dawn of revolution, 235 years ago, sped up and backwards. Enjoy your holidays! Drink up. Eat well. Try not to think about how we got to be "The Greatest Nation in the History of the World." It can be a real buzzkill.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 222 "Unpatriotic?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkhC7tpMUzs

This 365 makes me glad I have songs for most occasions, even if they can't get played most of the time. I've written a bunch of songs about my frustrations with modern-day, USA business as usual. Some are satirical, silly, absurd... "Unpatriotic?" is pretty straight ahead, "When did it become unpatriotic to want to ask why?," it asks. That's a question I still want the answer to. I don't play these America-inspired songs most of the time, because I'm not sure there is an audience for them. Maybe this experiment here, will prove me wrong. Even if there is an audience, it can be kind of a bummer. Talk like this could bring you down if you're in a bar, pretty easily, or make you all mad if you're a military guy trying to enjoy a beer, actually listening. So I shelve 'em. They are mostly in a folder somewhere, not even counted amongst my long list of tunes.

Anyway, I love America. It is a beautiful land, with a government founded on some lofty ideals. It is a shame that extreme greed has clouded so many people's view of what the American Dream really is. There is nothing free about greed, or having a million things you own and need to keep track of. I think charity, philanthropy, caring about others, and things of that ilk, are truly American ideals, the America in my mind, that I adore. Despite claims of separation of church and state, it says " In God We Trust" on all our money and in many government buildings. The God they're talking about is Jesus, or his Dad, or both, I think. My point is this. These ideals I speak of, treating others right, lifting them up, being charitable, helping the poor and underprivileged, these are moral things to do. They are Christian ideals, found also in the other religions, of course and they fly directly in the face of capitalism, where you get as much as you possibly can for you and yours and whoever it hurts or starves to death, too bad for them. Jesus, his pop, Jewish god, Allah, Buddha.. all of 'em would frown on the way the elite act in this country. Not only the elite, the the folks people admire, movie stars, fashion models, billionaires.

America will be on its way toward healing itself when having more than you can possibly manage for yourself is seen for what it is, which is tacky, gluttonous and wrong. No one needs 10 houses or fifty cars, If you don't think that one person having 50 houes doesn't directly link to starvation somewhere, you are kidding yourself. There is an finite amount of money and resources. If one guy (or 50 people) have it all, then everybody else has none. According to capitalism that is fair and right. So is constantly building bombs to drop on people far away for endless years on end.

When Americans look up to folks who positively influence their community, who care about others enough to have less for themselves, then we will reach our ceiling as a populace. When we stop admiring people for their wealth, beauty, their bodies, their fame and their power, and instead admire, hard working, loving, humble, kind, generous folks, then, we will truly be who we now pretend to be, leaders in the global world we now call home. Right now, three endless wars deep, snuffing out our middle class, destroying the environment, arrogant about all of it, the trickle-down morality of a corrupt system has rendered us an international embarrassment.

America, heal yourself, please, I love you. Who remembers our country was born from revolution? I believe it IS patriotic to question things. In fact, I believe it is the American thing to do.

No comments: