Saturday, July 16, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 228

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 234 Jefferson Jay "July" 7-15-2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkkh-z6gPM

Here, Paul Ruiz (trumpet) and I play one of my newest songs, "July." I am pretty excited about this number. It is Johnny Cash meets my song "February" with heatstroke, lots of character. My artistic background is in theater and I've been having some fun these last couple years writing tunes that incorporate some of those elements. I also grew up watching wrestling. I like heels, that's the wrestling insider term for the bad guys. I think there is a lot of room for humor and entertainment there. The only tough part is convincing sensitive Californians that you're kidding, that it's just part of an act. I have lots of great entertainment ideas in this arena, but nowhere to really unleash them. Who knows? Maybe I'll make a comeback in radio. Seems you can tease folks there some, without them taking it TOO personally.

Meanwhile, I keep it nice here. I write some tunes with a little quirky darkness and that satisfies me artistically, for now. Bad guys are good in the movies. Hannibal Lecter? Come on.

I had an idea about hitting the media with this onslaught of smacktalk to promote this here 365. I was thinking about saying stuff like, "nobody can possibly do the 365. No one else has the focus the talent, the ability..." I thought of issuing an open challenge to anyone anywhere to much my effort, knowing they can not. See how fun this is? In seriousness, for a second, I do believe I am the only person ever to do Operation 365 and the only person who ever will, in all likelihood. That is not an easy claim to make, period, in this world.

My rant was going to start, "What have you done 365 days in a row?" Well, this is all fantasy for now. I probably won;t do it, because I imagine people will struggle to get the the joke and think I'm just being arrogant and mean. I am kidding. Maybe I can get Chris Jericho or someone to explain it all to everybody.

Well, I hope I do get around to promoting this unique method of expression. There is something to be said for it. I just don't know what yet.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 234 "The Great Beyond" by REM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITO4nt18L7M

I've never heard this song before, not even once. I like REM a lot, especially back in the day. I really loved their "Out of Time" and "Automatic for the People" CDs. I guess "The Great Beyond" was also written in the 90s for the "Man on the Moon" movie. So, with Paul Ruiz playing trumpet on my couch, we went for it. Angel chimed n on some support vocals. Not bad for a song I never heard. Rotsa fun.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 234 "Meander"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AhEde7CTt0

"Meander" is a finger picking idea I was messing with. I wasn't sure exactly where it was going. It was kind of like rush hour traffic in that way, and that's why I named it "Meander." The fabulous Paul Ruiz, who just became a grandpa for the first time this week, incidentally, backs me up on trumpet. Congrats, Grandpaul! Yep, not sure what will become of this musical piece. Ask me in several years.

And if you think this is thin, you should see what I got for tomorrow. Schneep!

No comments: