Thursday, February 4, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 42

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 42 “Death Is Not a Game” by Jefferson Jay


This is the hardest video I’ve ever had to post. It’s because a song like this should not need to exist. Eleven high school boys were killed in 2015 through being involved with high school football. That means at practice and in games. To me, that is beyond unacceptable. No game is worth even a fraction of that damage. School is where you go to learn, not die.

If well-paid adults, wish to take these risks with their bodies in college and the NFL, it is their adult right to make that call. Children rely on parents and school systems to protect them and in these cases, and countless others, they have not. I believe high school football should be banned completely now. The price is far too great.

I deliberated about whether I should post this video and share this song. I wanted viewers to realize these are real people and that is why I mentioned them by name. The last thing I want to do is further traumatize the families, school and communities that have been devastated by these losses. What I want less than that though is for these boys lives to be lost for nothing. I want their deaths to potentially save others and they can, if people see “high school football” for what it is, an epidemic, not a game at all. Checkers is a game. It is safe for kids to play.

I sought counsel on whether to post this from the ultimate authority on this topic, Dr. Bennet Omalu. Dr. Omalu discovered CTE, (chronic brain injuries caused by repeated collisions) and was the subject of the feature film, “Concussion.” Will Smith played him in the movie. Dr. Omalu is a hero and a large part of his heroism, beyond his great work in medicine, has been his courage to step up and share unpopular views about a beloved national institution, the NFL. I tweeted him my video from earlier this week where I debated with myself the merits of posting this. He retweeted it and I interpreted that to mean I should post it.

Most importantly, my deepest condolences go out to the loved ones of these 11 boys. Every person involved in these matters is traumatized. It is impossible to know what to say or do when these things happen. No parent can be prepared to skillfully handle the loss of a young child. I hope in time they will all agree that non of these deaths are accidents. Football kills children. I hope that they can all eventually step forward and become powerful voices leading the charge to protect our young people.  It is not our fault if we don’t know bad things will happen and we let them. It is our fault when we find out they are happening and we fail to act. The world needs leadership, not just on the football field. In this case, it needs leadership keeping children off the football field. I am so sorry for you loss and I hope no one else has to suffer like you have. No game is worth it.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 42 “Who Let the Dogs Out” by Baha Men

Today’s “Who Let the Dogs Out” is a little leftover from yesterday. Here, one of my favorite friends from work is featured yet unseen and she leads us through one of her classroom favorites. Huge props to her!

Some trivia on this tune, Wikipedia says Anslem Douglas wrote it and the Baha Men wanted n part of covering it but were convinced. It also says,

“In a poll conducted in 2007, by Rolling Stone to identify the 20 most annoying songs, this song was ranked third.[3] It was also ranked first on Spinner's 2008 list of "Top 20 Worst Songs Ever".[4] Rolling Stone also ranked it at No. 8 on a poll to identify the worst songs of the 1990s.[5]”

Haha. Haters. I don’t even know how the verse goes and it doesn’t really matter. I’m sure Amslem and the Baha dudes are not concerned.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 42 “The Story of the Found Guitar”

It brings me great joy to share this story, as much joy as I’ve gotten from posting any videos in this 365 so far. Long story short (watch the video if you want long story, long) a friend of mine found an amazing Taylor guitar Monday. He asked for my advice. I helped him find the guy who had it stolen out of his trunk. Today, we found him and my friend returned the guitar to its owner.

My friend was disappointed that the fellow who got his guitar back wasn’t as friendly or thankful as he’d hoped. I know I would have been. I am super impressed by the way my friend handled it. Of course, he only did the right thing, but many others would have kept the $2500 guitar they found for themselves and not looked back. He didn’t. In case the guy who got his guitar back didn’t realize, that if my friend had stole it, he wouldn’t have given it back. Haha.

In fairness, I am sure he was very emotional and went through all kinds of feelings since his guitar was stolen. There is no textbook on how to handle matters like this. Now that the nicest Taylor I’ve ever seen is back in hands of its owner where it belongs, I hope he takes a minute to thank not only his friends, Facebook, and all his lucky stars, but the guy who actually found his guitar and gave it back to him immediately when he found out who owned it. Meanwhile, I’m going to try to make sure my friend has a guitar to play. He’s been looking for some time. He deserves one.

No comments: