Sunday, February 14, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 52

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 52 “Check on You” by Jefferson Jay

I’m a little sad today. I hope that doesn’t bring anybody down.  I don’t particularly care for Valentine’s Day. It’s safe to say there’s people who’ve had better ones historically. Whatever. This 365 is not about moping or rehashing old sad stories, but it is always about being real. It’s hard to avoid such a fate when sharing a slice of your soul every day for a year. Anyway, I was having trouble getting through even a few tunes due to my mental discombobulation, but I somehow managed to squeeze a couple out.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. I guess so. So I went with the sorrow motif and played one of the emotional songs I wrote about my beloved pooch Angel who passed away in August 2015 but lives forever in my heart. “Check on You” is a song I wrote in the final months of her life and it is pretty self-explanatory in that context. I hope it does something for someone somehow someday and winds up being more than just a sad song I put on the Internet.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 52 “Turn Turn Turn” by Pete Seeger

I guess God wrote the lyrics, depending who you ask. I don’t read the Bible, but I’ve been meaning to dip in to this Ecclesiastes for some time. It keeps coming back around and apparently it has been for some time, as my main recollection of this tune personally goes back a long ways.

As a freshman in High School I tried out for a play called “What D’Ya Know.” It was an original thematic show about what people know. It was a coming out party for me in terms of being in a good show and doing a decent job. I learned a ton. In one of the number we performed this song both with singing and with only sign language. It was really awesome. And I forever revere our director and mentor the late Thomas Ratzin for doing so much with our fragile clay-like minds. It has propelled many people into pursuing careers in entertainment for decades.

Thanks Mr. Ratzin and all my fellow Masques for the tremendous indelible imprint you’ve left on my life and soul. This is for you.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 52 “Don’t Kill Your Children”

Maybe I shouldn’t have posted this, but it IS very based on a true story. Not to make light of awful things, but frankly that is how we survive. If you are still angry and devastated about terrible things from years ago, (I admit it. I am, little) hopefully, a little laughter and trying to make something positive out of it can somehow help.

Anyway, what I said in here is true. Shit is going to go bad sometimes raising a kid. Did you think it was going to be easy? Nothing worth anything is. That is no solution. You know who you are. I’m glad I don’t have to walk a day in your slippers. Killing’s wrong.

I think I’ve decided this is too dark to post. It makes me feel good a little but to put it on people, but they don’t deserve the satisfaction of knowing how I feel or anything. So… I’m on the fence. Vacillating. F it. Karma and the universe will work it out. I’ll stay out of it. For today. No sense spreading any more poison on a dark and burned up piece of toast. I’m hungry. Guess I need a new words video.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 52 “A Message of Hope”

I have made a conscious decision to turn my frown upside down and spread a message of hope on this, the most Hallmarky of all holidays. No matter. We are the masters of our destinies and it is up to us to decide how we are going to handle whatever gifts and challenges life lay before us.


We are resilient beyond our wildest imaginations and we can rise up and overcome even the post debilitating of circumstances. I stand beside you, brothers and sisters, and offer encouragement, hope and my strong shoulders to lean on, if you ever need an extra little bit of support in life’s darkest hours. Peace and love and triumph over adversity. Excelsior!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What are the chances today is the day I stumble across this? I have no memory of performing "Turn, Turn, Turn" in What D'ya Know?, but I remember some of the title song:

What D'ya Know? After studying for a lifetime. What do you know?
Though I've learned a lot of something (?), I've a long, long way to go.
How do I know just what is so? How do you know?

I hope you are good and that life is treating you well.

Chrissi O'Donnell
Christineodonnell2013@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello Chrissi,

I'm sorry it took me moths to find this. Thanks so much for the nice words. LIfe is great and treating me very nicely. I hope the same for you. Great to hear from you! I remember that jam as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj5kBu0uNrA

We did "Turn, Turn, Turn" in sign language. That may be a factor in you not remembering it entirely. I wish you the best. Those were some amazing times back in the Masques days. I remember it all with huge smiles.

Jeff

Unknown said...