Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 55

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 55 “The Kitchen Sink” by Jefferson Jay

So one day, we were hanging out the former apartment of our friend Kristina Henry. While trying to relax. I got the whole inspiration fore this song and had to take an hour or whatever it was to figure it out and write. Thanks to Kristina for the pen and paper.  I like the hook. The whole song pretty much supports it. “Doing kitchen sink things in a bathroom sink world.” What can I tell ya? It’s quirky.

Let’s face it though. Things have gotten quite down and dirty these last few centuries and now’s as good a time as any to spit blood less and steam organic veggies more. I don’t know. It’s a song. Do with it what you will. Kisses.

P.S. If you’re sticking around for the surprise I usually stick at the end of each of these videos, uhhhh…. I forgot. Luckily there’s 310 more days.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 55 “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler

Who wrote this song anyway? Great work, Jeff Silbar and Larry Henley. Probably good you had Bette sing it though. No offense. I’ve had my mentor and former director, Thomas Ratzin on the mind this week. I guess I have him on the mind lots, but closer to the front of the ol’ brain space this week. Side note: Know what’s funny? Political Correctness. Ha!

Anyway, Mr. Ratzin, legendary teacher/director at Fair Lawn High loved this tune and it was played it his memorial so many years ago. So once again, I would like to dedicate this to him for the decades of inspiration he so naturally provide and lifetimes of wisdom he managed to share with so many of us in just a few years.

Mr. Ratzin always said,  and I never forgot, “The show comes first,” so I’m going to stop typing and edit this vid up and post it. I have Open Mic to host tonight at 6. Talk about an ensemble show. Winston’s Wednesdays and all 21 and over are welcome. More Mr. Ratzin coming soon. I’ve got a little idea about covering one of his tunes.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 55 – “July” 2-6-16 – JJB at Mother’s Saloon


Not feeling super wordy once again. Fortunately, songs have words and even if they didn’t, words mainly exist to aid with communication and songs communicate just fine.   I wrote “July” in 2011 for the first 365 and this was our second live performance of the whole band. It is just a little taste of the tune, but I felt like sharing so here it goes. Thanks to Daniel Diaz, who appears at the beginning and end of the video and recorded it for us and to Mike Bumba who lent me his GoPro. Righteous

No comments: