Sunday, February 28, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 66

 Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 66 “Puffy Hair”

Decided to start today with some fashion tips for the casual 365er. Focused largely on the hair and its relative puffiness, I offered some cutting insight as to what it takes to really deliver the handsome for 365 straight days. Ultimately though, I felt I had an even stronger and more profound statement to make with today’s “Words” segment, so if you want to watch this video, you will have to stick around to the very end of today’s actual “Words” video, “Buy Everything.” Word.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 66 “Poop on Your Nose” by Jefferson Jay

Alas, “Poop on Your Nose” is based on a true story. With a nod to sycophants and metaphors, this song is largely literal. A few weeks back we had El Nino for three days. The city stopped, trees fell and everywhere flooded. I was visiting one of my favorite places and one thing led to another. A chicken coop and some cat crap were intimately involved and unfortunately, shot happened. And even more unfortunately, it happened on me. I was inspired by it though. Some say that if a bird craps on you its good luck. I wonder if that applies to cat crap that has fallen out of a tree on to a chicken coop roof. One can only hope.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 66 “What D’Ya Know?” by Thomas Ratzin

“What D’Ya Know?” is one of the more meaningful covers I’ll be playing during this 365, I imagine. In 1990, “What D’Ya Know?” was the first good theater production I was ever in. I had a small role, but learned a ton about what goes into to performing and working well in a group. I learned a million other things too. For instance, “There are no small parts, only small actors,” “the show comes first,” and that there is no reason to be afraid of gay people. What can I tell you? I was 15 and had a lot to learn, I am grateful someone taught me. That’s what teachers are for.

Mr. Ratzin was far more than a teacher though. He was a visionary and a great director, leading the Masques of Fair Lawn High School for decades. Numerous actors and actresses went on to successful careers as performing artists after emerging from Mr. Ratzin’s watchful tutelage. I wonder how Mr. Ratzin would have managed in the modern politically correct world of today. He was magically old school. He did things the old-fashioned way and it worked. Sometimes, he had to scream at us. We survived.

For “What D’Ya Know?” Mr. Ratzin wrote an original song called “What D’Ya Know?” I never forgot when Mr. Ratzin’s equally legendary set designer, Arnold Hruska told then sophomore/now Sirius Fox News personality Jared Max to “mouth the words” to this tune. I never forgot the tune at all. Here it is, from my memory, from 26 years ago.

“What D’Ya Know?” was an original show about what people know. I still wonder about that. What do we know? I don’t know. I guess that’s the point of the question. Hail Mr. Ratzin. Thank you for everything. It’s all eternal.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 66 “Always Buy Everything”

Folks, I was going to do an exposé on puffy hair but I shifted to something much more monumental. Stay o the very end, if you’re dying to watch the “puffy hair” piece.

Today, we meditate on why it is crucial, for all of us Americans, to come together and buy everything, always. I am glad to offer some suggestions on what to purchase and explanations of why it is so essential that we buy everything anyone is trying to sell us, even if we have no use for it whatsoever. It is our duty as Americans to consume and be materialistic. Why do you think only rich folks run for president? (And Bernie Sanders.)

How else are we to prove are superiority to everybody else? Duh. If you can’t have every single thing whenever you want it always, what’s the point of democracy? Exactly, there is none. Buy things now or move to somewhere where other things are more important than buying stuff. But remember this, unless you’re going to move to Canada or Mexico, you’re going to likely need a plane ticket to move there and if you’re buying expensive fancy things like plane tickets, you’re doing just fine as an American, and you may be best-suited to stay here after all. God Bless America*


*And people from other places too. I guess…

No comments: