Monday, February 29, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 67

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 67 “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson

OK. Business first. “Man in the Mirror” was really written by Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett, not Mike, but this matters only for accuracy and posterity today.

Last Tuesday night, I had a bolt of inspiration about a way for anybody to write songs easily. Alas, building computer programs and marketing them to a mass audience are not on my list of special skills, so I did the next best thing, which was write 12 tunes at once, one in each key. And I documented the whole two-hour writing ceremony, also for posterity and accuracy, incidentally.

I’ve grown to quite like the 12 tunes. I typed up all the cords and lyrics and I even recorded them all into a cute, little EP called “Welcome.” How is 12 tunes an EP, you ask? When the whole thing adds up to 19.24, I think it’s an EP. See what happens when you take out all the solos and whatnot. Anyway, I am about ready to share these tunes and the revelations that came with their creation. Almost.

So I thought to myself, what cover tune would go well with the message of the first tune on the list, “Find Myself?” I answered myself, “Man in the Mirror.” So I found a good version on line chord version and got down to it. Side note: I’ve got to do a Zappa song some time soon. Dinah-Moe Hum, anyone?

And that’s what happened. Stay tuned to the end for some quality facial expressions and high-pitched chipmunk chanting. Peace. Make that change.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 67 “Leap Year” by Jefferson Jay

So, as I mentioned, I was already to blast out “Find Myself” today and welcome in the sharing of my 12 tune-EP “Welcome” that I wrote last Tuesday night, but reality intervened as it is so wont to do and I remembered. It’s Leap Day. Now, Leap Day might not seem very special to you, but imagine your birthday was February 29, then how would you feel? You could be 80, but you’d only be 20. As much as you gain with youth, you lose it back getting burnt on birthday bashes. It is not OK.

So, today, “Find Myself” and “Welcome” wait as I salute the special sect of human beings who only get a true birthday as often as they get a Winter Olympics. May your birthdays bring you more you than the Winter Olympics*

*Unless you’re an Olympian.

Maybe I’ll wait a few days more before starting the “Welcome” share, as I have a little something planned for March 4th.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 67 “Are You a Monkey?”


Who isn’t? This isn’t some Creation/Evolution debate or anything of the sort. It is the simple rhetorical question, answered “Yes.” We all copy each other endlessly. It’s all we know. How do I know what do say or how to make my face look when I say it without looking at you? I can’t. We copy each others clothes, hobbies, habits, everything really. 

So today, we salute each other with this moment of consideration. While that may not see like much of a tribute compared mimicking each other endlessly, at least, in this case, we can say we did it with awareness and intention.

That’s why it matters who presidentially elect. One Donald Trump* is enough.


* No offense, Donald. That’s in case he wins. It seems he’s quite vindictive. He even went after The Pope. To this, I say nope. I love this Pope

No comments: