Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 245

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 251 Destructo Bunny w JJ, Soul Man & Andy Davis - 12-6-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARa5C0Bogvo


Welcome back to "12 Hours of Free Music" 2008, another wonderful day in Ocean Beach. This is the apex of the Bunny's set. We wrapped it up with a little group jam/freestyle vibe. I even got in on the vibe bringing some brain flow to the table. I was excited. Enjoy some music created in the moment. Soul Man joins in on guiro and Andy Davis does it on the drums. Good times dance party. Kevin Moya is the big guy with the slick dance moves. I even beat box a little. I'm not too much of a boxer, usually... This world is full of unpredictable occurrences. Love life.

This clip was filmed by Dylan Avery

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 251 "Don Gato" by Traditional
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yieCOPB1pFc


"Don Gato" was probably my favorite song that we sung while I was in elementary school. I liked it so much and I couldn't find it anywhere so I returned to my New Jersey elementary school many years later and tracked down the man who had taught me the song in the first place, Mr. Jablonski. When we were kids we called him Mr. J. They didn't have a music room any more at Milnes School, so Mr. J led me to a classroom that housed one of the pianos. Then he showed me the song and wrote it down for me. He stopped once to ask me where I was going to play it. I answered honestly. I said, "nightclubs and bars..." He seemed shocked, horrified even, so I modified my story and told him church, or some answer I thought he'd be more able to endure.

Sadly, I couldn't find those chords when I went searching for them today. Happily, someone has posted it on the web in the years that have passed since that visit. So I played the interent version today. It seemed a little weird and wrongish on one chord, but I just went with it. It was close enough. Gotta love that debonair Don Gato. He had game.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 251 "August"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNWlbj2HhoM


Last night I was laying in bed. I was very relaxed. Then I coulda sworn Angel, my poocha, was yakking hard. She raided her dog food and ate to her fill, so I wasn't surprised until I bounced up and she actually hadn't yakked at all. So I threw on my clothes and took her outside in case she in fact needed to yak. She didn't In the 11 years, I have had here, I'm certain she's never made that much yakking noise without actually producing any yak. Not that I'm complaining...

So now I was up. In some of my final moments before almost falling asleep, I was thinking, "What does the world "august" mean? I had a feeling it meant sincere" or something like that. So now that I was up, I looked it up in the dictionary app on my phone. "August" is a word, not just a month. I then wrote this whole song to attempt to inform the world what August really means. The funny thing about this song is, even though I quoted the definition and the list of synonyms extensively in the song, and even go so far as to say so, in the lyrics, I am not convinced I made this subject any clearer. In fact, I may have even muddied it up more. "How so?," you ask.

Well, several of the synonyms it listed are almost antonyms of each other, so it created a bit of confusion. Anyway, I'm glad to have had my say and approached the month of August as a songwriter in a different way. I even threw a little august acrostic in there for yuks not yaks. The acrostic has nothing to do with illuminating the definition. It is bonus. I hope this clears the matter up for you.

The only months left I haven't written songs for are October, December, and January.

Here's a headstart on some lyrics for the "December" number whenever I get around to it. I thought this in bed after I went back to the sack after all the aforementioned excitement.

The cold wait abates.
As we trade bathing suits for ice skates.
It is that time of the year.
The reflection in the icy pond is clear

No comments: