Friday, August 26, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 269

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 275 Jefferson Jay "May" 3-21-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC2jcjksP3w


My friend, Will Edwards, was over earlier today and I asked him to pick a date. he said March 21st. I didn't ask why he picked that date. I went off into my archives in search of a show form that date or some date real close to it. There were only a couple of artists to choose form on the March 21, 2010 show that I found. It was a Sunday. I often didn't film my Sunday showcases at Portugalia, but this one I did and here it is.

This is my song "May." I've posted it a couple of other times in the 365. It is a song about what may happen in the summer to follow. It is a song that welcomes the fruits a summer of productive will will yield. This summer is almost over and I need to get back to work, but I am aware, more now than ever of life's unpredictable nature. Anything can happen. I've always said this, but now I can feel it. I have no idea what life has in store for me. "May" welcomes that good things that may lie ahead and I'm all about that right now. I like the positive thoughts in it and I like the funny outfit/moustache that I am sporting at this show.

Joined I am, on The Don Truesdail Stage, by Paul Ruiz on trumpet, The Soul Man on guiro, and the long, lost, Paul Lopez on percussion. Ain't seen that guy in ages. Hope he's well. Dig it. Peace.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 275 "Baby Baby Please Come Home" by Dan Truesdail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSlxnEThwFw


One of my favorite songwriters and humans is Dan Truesdail. Dan is the dad of world class troubadour Don Truesdail. I became very close with Don's folks, Dan and Janet, in the aftermath of his passing and I cherish their friendship and love. I go back to see them every chance I get in the Binghamton vicinity and I hope to do so again very soon.

On one trip, I brought my recording stuff and recorded a bunch of Dan's orignal music. It was a wonderful experience. I always like jamming out with Dan. He schools me crash course style, force-feeding one classic country groove after another. I love it and try my best to keep up. "Baby Baby Please Come Home" is one of the songs we recorded. It was in my head lately, so I decided to learn it and share here with you. Truesdails, I think of you all the time. You are on my mind and in my heart and I look forward to the next time I get to sot at your kitchen table and eat some of Janet's fine cooking. Thanks for all you love. It means a ton to me. Hope you like the ditty.

I recorded two versions of "Baby Baby Please Come Home" back east and here I offer two versions of my own. Why? Because I can... Because it's short and a great song. Both versions combined are about three minutes. One comes after the "credits." Bon vivant.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 275 "Reality Is Changing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2zQnpIAIM


Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz is upset because the feds raided the Gibson factory and took a million dollars with of stuff. They didn't say why or anything. Henry is upset and I don't blame him. In this article,

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2011/aug/29/gibson-guitar-ceo-speaks-out-about-raids/

he said this, “The federal bureaucracy is just out of hand,” Juszkiewicz said. “And it seems to me there’s almost a class warfare of companies versus people, rich versus poor, Republicans versus Democrats … and there’s just a lack of somebody that stands up and says, ‘I’m about everyone. I’m really about America and doing what’s good for the country and not fighting these little battles.’

I tweeted at Henry this, @henryej I’m about America and doing what’s good for the country. I play Gibsons, have Master's in Am. Hist. I need ur help to help. #gibson

It's true. I have been at it for some time. It is an uphill climb in the 21st century. It seems most folks have been bought off quite nicely. Who could blame 'em? It's an easier road to hoe. Guys like Henry can make a difference by giving musicians like myself a platform from which to speak. People with stuff to say have been effectively silenced in modern America. Guys like Henry can make a difference, but often only care when the problem is brought directly to their door. We'll see if Henry is one of those types of folks. I'm not expecting him to hit me up, but the thing with life is... he could. You just never know what is going to happen. All I know is I've been ready to go with my big flappy yapper for some time now. I'm still here and I'm still waiting, hoping to hear from Henry.

No comments: