Sunday, August 7, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 250

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 256 Beer Money "Field of Stone" 4-20-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFvW1KV7p2s


Here, I harmonize with my friends' Beer Money, Joe and Jen Stevens. I recorded them at my studio a few years ago and really got to know and like a bunch off their songs. This one, "Field of Stone" was one of those. We had been having some nice late night jams after the bar closed back then and one time I joined them on "Field of Stone" and discovered I had a pretty cool little harmony part for it. So on this night, April 20, 2010, at what turned out to be my final Portugalia Open Mic, I asked them if I could come on stage and sing this song with them and they said, "Yes." Right after that I said "Cool," and that is where this video begins.

I am missing having a stage to play on every week. It is very helpful for me to have that to outlet that part of my personality. What will be, will be.

TAGS: Operation 365, Jefferson Jay, Archives, 256, Joe Stevens, Jen Stevens, harmony, field, stone, music, open mic, friends, recording, studio, 420, four twenty, beer, money, Beer Money "Field of Stone" 4-20-2010

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 256 "Cinnamon Girl" by Neil Young
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NHOHV9MAt4


"Cinnamon Girl" popped into my head earlier today. I was going for a walk on the cliffs over looking the beach with my friend Nancy Truesdail and we saw a real estate sign, that said "Call Cinnamon." I thought Cinnamon was a far better name for a stripper than someone you'd buy a house from. From that moment, the seed was planted. I had a date with "Cinnamon Girl."

I almost diverted to Pink Floyd's "Hey You," but then my mission came back in focus. Neil Young, an American hero who happens to be Canadian, has a really high voice. I wasn't feeling singing it up there. So I lounged it out as I am wont to do form time to time. Lounging is fun. I'm surprised there's nobody famous who does. It is a technique thick in rich in character and fun. Singing "Cinnamon Girl" lower, makes that last note, the "girl" in "Cinnamon Girl" a really low note. 'Twas fun. 'Twas the night before 8-8-11 and I had fun. Thank you.

TAGS: Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Jay, Hey You, cinnamon, cinnamon girl, lounge, loungified, character, fun, twas, rich, thick, ketchup, american hero, canadian, croon

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 256 "Lily Mae" with Paul Ruiz on trumpet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzlHF_krWM


I wrote this zany tune the other night. I kind of want to let it speak for itself. It is a fun one, of sorts. Paul Ruiz joins me on trumpet. I want to thank Billie Jean, Billie Anne, Maggie May, and Willie Mays all for their inspiration. I've been writing so many songs lately that they can't all be about my personal perspective on things. One needs to view things through other's eyes to keep it interesting, I'm finding; Even the eyes of individuals who don't exist. Songwriting as story telling, I like it. Props to my boy, Don Truesdail, for showing me the way in this regard, without even meaning to, necessarily. Peace. Hail!

TAGS: Lily Mae, understanding, compassion, empathy, sympathy, Jefferson Jay, Paul Ruiz, trumpet, Don Truesdail, peace, hail, songwriting, mother, mom, friend, Billie Jean, Billie Anne, Maggie May, Willie Mays, shoutouts, songwriting, story telling, inspiration, lilly, lily, mae, may

NOTE: It's taken hours to get the videos to load today on youtube. 3 balls, 2 strikes, 2 out, Red Sox have bases loaded. 1-1 game. Pops him up. The side is retired. Red Sox leave 'em loaded. Ha ha.

No comments: