Friday, August 19, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 262

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 268 Beehive and Destructo Bunny - 12-6-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28WE7JuUQ4


This collaboration was from the 2008 version of my "12 Hours of Free Music" show on December 6, 2008. My buddy Beehive, the greatest beat boxer I've ever seen, invited a couple guests up at the end of his electrifying set. The guests were Destructo Bunny and myself. So I am going to share those two fun moments the next two days here on the 365. Destructo Bunny is up first. We are going in chronological order. I left a good bit of their banter before the set, cause I thought there was a real moment of acknowledgment and appreciation between the two local hip-hip heroes who had never performed together before. They improvised their act and they rock.

The 365 is not just the music. It is about the interaction and the respect that artists and people can share and the example it sets for all the rest of us. It is also about appreciating deep, meaningful and hopefully music art and artists in their various habitats. This was a great night. I remember this vividly. I had just gotten off of Christmas parade float and as a host, I was delighted to return to a show where folks were having fun. Beehive got everybody into and the night portion of our program was off to a riveting start. Tune back in tomorrow to see how I fared in my stint onstage with The 'Hive.

This was filmed by Dylan Avery.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 268 "mikelewismusic" by Mike Lewis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53wFMt7wSao


I've wanted to cover this song ever since the first time Mike Lewis came to my Open Mic and played it years ago. I always thought it would be funny to cover somebody's song that was specifically about their own music. When I went to finally learn the tune today, I learned it was actually about much more than that. "mikelewismusic" is about old friends, good times, and coming to peace with your dreams, both old and new.

When researching this jam, I learned that Mike Lewis is going by the name "Michael David Lewis" now with his music. Seems there is another Mike Lewis Music form Kentucky or somewhere. Imagine that. Maybe that Mike Lewis should cover this tune too. Clifford, my friend is a good friend of Michael David Lewis's from high school. He is one of MDL's pals who gets mentioned in the lyrics to this tune. (MDL calls him Joe Mode. That's Clifford's last name, Jomuad) Anyway, I hope MDL gets a kick out of my version. He is a good dude and if this enhances his day at all, it's a mitzvah. L'chiem... and to music.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 268 "When Love Comes Your Way"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMSWU1rIslw


I made this one, "When Love Comes Your Way," up after I hit record, as I have many times so far in the 365, when seeking an original song for the day. This one has its' moments. Obviously, it's a little raw, bit this is the nature of the beast. Speaking of beasts, I went to Wal-Mart today, I never do that. As I perused Wal-Mart, I truly felt like I was in the belly of the beast that is capitalism. Everything for sale, cheaper than everywhere else. Some miserable guy greeting you at the door, to try to make it feel more happy. I was on my out of Wal-Mart for a long time to come, until the gave me a $10 off what I want coupon for no reason, so I guess I'll be back soon. Damn belly of the beast keeps pulling you back in. See you at Wal-Mart soon. Damnit!

So, my voice has been cracking lately. It's a new thing for me. New since I was 13. So in this song, I go with it, and do some righteous, cracked-out singing much fun. "When Love Comes Your Way" is dedicated to Nancy and Don Truesdail, whose anniversary is today and Dan and Janet Truesdail, Don's folks. It's Janet's birthday today. You all inspired this number. I hope I did ya justice. Happy Birthday Janet.

No comments: