Friday, March 4, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 71

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 71 “March Forth” by Jefferson Jay

I like this tune and I’ve been saving it for today, March 4th. This song is play on words. Gosh, I love those. It’s not about March 4th, but it is about marching forth as a people united in the interests of making our world the best it can be.

I head of a band that I believe is called the March 4th Brass Band. Wait, I’ll check that, so it’s right. OK, It’s MarchFourth Marching Band. I just read (good ole’ Wikipedia) they’re named that cause they formed on that day in 2003. Good for them. I’ve never heard them, but I know they’re doing well on the festival circuit, and at a glance, they seem very cool.

Well, I offer them up this jam. How cool would it sound with a full-on marching band, much less one from Portland, Oregon? Very. I will do what I can via the Twitter and all to make that connection. I was waiting for today. I’m fairly certain this tune has never been recorded before, so this is my first chance to share it with them. I hope they receive it and then, I hop e they like it. Then, I hope they play it. I guess this is a pretty big day in their world. I salute them.

I recorded this today at school, on a break between classes. My phone ran out of space so the very end got cut off, but I think you get the point. At the end, it goes “March Forth” and stops. Love you.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 71 "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" by Richard and Robert Sherman

I knew Richard Sherman was talented. Heck, he went to Stanford, has a Super Bowl, but I had no idea he’d written timeless show tunes decades before his birth, with his brother no less. Impressive.

OK, corny cornerback jokes aside, here I get down with some little kids on "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." That may have come out wrong. Then again, not nearly as wrong as the student who told me twice (not once, but TWICE today) that she liked to suck on Twinkies. I told her that I didn’t want to hear it. I said if everyone told me what kind of desert foods they liked I’d be here all day. The anonymous youngsters delivered today. Hail Poppins!

I’ll let Peed’ (that’s my pet name for Wikipedia) get the last word here.

"A well known feghoot plays on the word, by affirming that Mahatma Gandhi was a "super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis".[7]"

What in the feg is a feghoot?

"A story pun (also known as a poetic story joke or Feghoot) is a humorous short story or vignette ending in a pun (typically a play on a well-known phrase) where the story contains sufficient context to recognize the punning humor.[1]"

Thanks ‘Peed.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 71 “This Book Can't Be That Old”

I went to one of time-honored maneuvers today, busting out the old music book in search of a cover for today's funfest. Instead, I ramble and peruse, touching on everything from Jamaican Calypso jams to questioning the wisdom in including R. Kelly songs in a kid's music book. Do these publishers live in caves? Let me glance on the title page and see. What d'ya know? It says it was published in Kabul, Afghanistan. If that's true, odds are it was cave-made. Probably not safe to be publishing kid's music books anywhere else. 

That's a stressful like for those cave-bound folks. Getting bombed all the time, making hash, hiding terrorists. I think I'l have to give them a pass on the R. Kelly inclusion. Hopefully, they'll get that out before the next printing. Bad enough kids today are watching NC-17 presidential debates that teach them how to disrespectful and petty. Can't have them listening to R. Kelly too. Next thing you know they'll be pissing on everyone. Not OK. 


No comments: