Friday, March 25, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 92

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Covers – 92 “Sister Golden Hair” by America

While I grew up on classic rock radio in New Jersey, I was years later when I finally became fully aware of the power of “Sister Golden Hair.” A dear friend from childhood who I graduated high school with in ’92 (Day 92) and I wrote a screenplay some years ago. We finished it right when the screenwriters struck and our query letters probably all landed in empty offices unseen. No matter. It was a film about steroids in baseball, a parody. Android Johnny Lane. It still exists. Anyway… When Frank and I wrote this, we even went so far as to choose tunes for the scenes and we suggested “Sister Golden Hair” for a scene. I listened and fell in love. What a tune. What’s not to love? The classic guitar lick. The hope. I can see the golden hair blowing in the Convertible breeze each time.

So here’s to Frank and Android Johnny Lane. Like this very video, may you reach the people some day. Peace and love. Each day. All of it. Thanks to Daniel Ratcliffe for playing, teaching me the lick and being my friend. This is why we call him President Licksin (rhymes with Nixon.) A gentleman and a scholar. He is.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 92 “Whispers” by Jefferson Jay

So a few weeks back, I set out to write 24 tunes at once. In an hour. I mostly succeeded. I wrote the music for all 24 and the words for about half. Then I went to bed. Finished the other ones later in the weekend. Just as I was mapping out my plan and getting ready to dive in, this tune dove out. It was not part of the 24 I was planning for. It just forced it’s way out of my head and into the club, charter member status in fact.

Today, I am joined for the 365, by dear pal and Jefferson Jay Band member, Daniel Ratcliffe. He is swell. We like to hang and it is nice to be home and have a day off where that is the way. Hoo-ray, I say. Next, I need to figure out what this tune even means. When you make them come out fast, it can take awhile to see what they mean.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 92 “Always Keep a Pick in Your Wallet”


More wisdom on what’s become Daniel Ratcliffe Day on the 365. Yesterday was Abraham Lincoln Day, so homeboy’s in good company. Here are some scintilla of insight from a man who knows a thing or two about a thing or two, including carpentry, cooking, and guitah picks. Listen carefully and Dan would say, “Always be kind to your niece and nephew.”

No comments: