Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 90

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 90 “Too Much to Take” by Jefferson Jay

“Too Much to Take” is the second of the 24 tunes I wrote at once, a couple weeks back,  to distinguish itself from the pack and reveal itself to me as a pretty neat song. Today, I practiced it with my special needs performers and they were practicing harmonies and call and response. It was almost a full-on hootenanny. I recorded this version yesterday. When I wrote it I thought I’d call it “Done Done,” and I still like that name, but it seems to scream to be named “Too Much to Take.”

I plan to play it at “Winston’s Welcome Wednesday Open Mic,” which I host at Winston’s in Ocean Beach, Wednesdays from 6 to 9, with a few friends. I love me some Winston’s. We, the Jefferson Jay Band, had a blast playing there last night. Thanks to Destructo Bunny for having us and to Mike Decker, Kyle, Johnny and the Almighty Bruce for being awesome to us always, as well. Unthanks to Shannon for dumping a glass of water on my head because someone lied and told her I poured water down her back. I most certainly did not. I tried to stay ‘til the end and would have made it, but doused in ice water at 12:45 at night, that was just a tad “Too Much to Take.”

No harm. An otherwise wonderful and very fun night.

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Covers – 90 “Go” by Daniel Johnston.

Many wonderful folks work with me at my job working with special needs adults. They are people with loving giant hearts, almost all of them. One friend, Bruno, requested I learn “Go,” so I did. I’d never heard of Daniel Johnston before. I looked him up on Wikipedia. It said he plays avant-garde or outsider music, music that bucks convention and has no mainstream aid whatsoever. Wow. Kindred spirits.

It also said Daniel is schizophrenic and bipolar. Right on to Daniel for fighting through and contributing artistically in his own unique voice despite the difficulties life can interject. There is no willy-nilly. Everything happens for a reason. We don’t get to pick, when if ever, we find out what the reason is. To inspire? To educate? To express? To inform? Only the glory of time knows and thankfully we get let in on the secret sometimes. Cheers Daniel Johnston (and thanks Bruno). It’s a pleasure to know you.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 90 “An Anthropological Moment”


Here is a deep documentary-like blast, full of hard historical facts, about the people of the past and what their melodic messages meant. This is exclusively available here on your very own, Operation 365. Two.

No comments: