Sunday, March 6, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 73

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 73 “Binj”

Food morning. That was an accident. Maybe, I’m hungry?

Good morning and welcome the glorious and glamorous event that is this moment right here, a spectacular Sunday morning in God’s year 2016, whatever that means. How blessed can we be? Songs, pants, lemons, House of Cards. God is great! It has been a prolific funfest, this life so far, and I’m rolling. Loving it all. Fired up to have this moment to share with you. Our bond is unique and like no other, personal, or as personal as you can get in this medium. I’m in your house, in your brainstem, every day for a year. Well, where I am is up to you, but that’s a quite a statement because many if not most say home, and if they’re posting videos every day, it’s probably of them playing video games. And in this day and age, there might be a million people watching, cause it’s not bad enough we’re so mortified that we kill fake computer men for endless hours as adults, but we are even willing to watch others do it, just for yucks. I don’t get it and it doesn’t matter if I get it. If it brings you joy, that’s great. I guess it’s like God in that way. I just have too much to do personally, like this for instance, to take the time to battle in the land of fake video men. Perhaps the nature of binging is that it know no boundaries, so video game on my friends, just love life while you do so. Guilt gets you nothing but gas. Stinky ones. And that’s nothing to binge on, my friends.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 73 “Boxing” by Jefferson Jay

That said, I did carve out a little fake sliver of time to watch real men, and a couple ladies, grapple and brawl last night as I took in the last two bouts of UFC 196. That is some gladiator shit there folks. Brutal and barbaric, yet captivating and adrenaline pumping just to watch. I was pulled in by the top notch, WWE-style smack talk offered by one featherweight Conor McGregor. Instead, my wife I watched him and ladies’ champ Holly Holm get choked out, Ouch. Some sport. Not sure how much more of it I’ll make the time to see. If you watch that, you’d probably watch man fight a lion if they still did that and showed it pay-per-view. I’d like to think I wouldn’t but I just watched this so, who’s to say?

 In a matter more pertinent to me, this is my 4th of the 12 tunes I wrote all at once a couple weeks back and it’s called “Boxing.” It’s about the blows life can throw and how they can leave ya spinning for a few, like they did to Ole’ Conor last night. Another “B” word song and I was beginning, as I wrote, to notice a direction was emerging in my creative adventure. Stick and move. Stay alert, stay up, keep your guard up. Always live to fight another day. Some boxing related clichés that truly play in different contexts of the day. Context is my favorite reversible outfit.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 73 “Those Were the Days” by Lee Adams and Charles Strouse

You can always count on me for some nostalgia. I am wired that way. It’s the history in me. The deep levels of appreciation for those who came before me and made it possible for me to do anything. In this case, specifically, I am speaking of my grandparents. I vividly recall “Those Were the Days” playing many times in their house as “All in the Family” began. And there something unmistakably Jean Stapleton-esque about my grandma. It wasn’t just the singing voice but that was part of it. And like Archie Bunker, while entirely intolerant of racism of any kind, he WAS the man of his house and that also entirely unmistakable. He was a man of great integrity, my grandpa. I shudder to think of who I’d be without having known them.


So this song, and the “MASH” one too and some others, really bring me back to those innocent days that seem so far away. The late 70’s. I feel so fortunate and am so grateful to have lived the life I have so far and to have known folks as great as my grandparents. I am humble and grateful. So far, it has been a truly fantastic ride. Thanks.

No comments: