Sunday, March 20, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 87

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Covers – 87 “Engine Roll Call” by Ed Welsh and Robert Hartshorne


So a few years back, I received an invitation to play this tune at my friend Rune's 2-year old birthday. Seems he loves the Thomas , like so many the kids do these days and his dad, Tim Clark even went so far as to build Rune an actual ginormous Thomas for Rune and his pals to play on. Pretty cool. It was a star-studded affair. Rune's Mom, hippie chick fashion designer Maddie Moon, Dr. Bronner (roughly 5th generation) and Berkie from Vokab Company were among the local superstars in the hizzouse. Much fun was had, as you might have guessed.

So, I learned this number by ear and still play it from time to time, because you see, not only do little kids like Thomas the Train Engine but some special needs adults do too. It's a mitzvah.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 87 "Einstein Says" by Jefferson Jay


So, here we are in New Jersey. Roughly 35 degrees. One must suffer for one's art, someone said. Now I won't say I suffered, but it was a tad brisk. So, here goes Day 87.

Last week, I found myself slightly unnerved by a thing or two: the persistent lines in the sky, the candidates for presidency on the Republican side, things like that. This week, it was other things that earned my ire. I've lamented a lot, the lack of regard the 1% has for everybody else on the planet. How such greed can go unnoticed by its perpetrates is beyond me. Since arriving in New Jersey, I've realized it's worse than I thought. One needn't be a one-percenter to deem themselves worthy of the outrageous excess, previously reserved for royalty. Why everyone feels they need an enormous house with fifty more rooms than people, I have no idea. Perhaps they feel they "deserve" this or far more likely, they feel an irrational need to show everyone who important and worthy they are. Absurd nonsense, greed is.

Now I begrudge nobody the right to have whatever they want, but why does everybody need to want so much? You can only use so many things in this life. To have far more than that is wrong. People live in need. Have some consideration and respect PLEASE. Use your brains. Think about others and stop trying to prove you're a God. It won't work. You'll never convince yourself, no matter how more you buy than you need. Common decency... Respect... AWARENESS THAT FOLKS ARE STARVING. EMPATHY...? ANYONE?

This last caps were accidental, but I am going to leave them.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 87 “Josie and the Pussycat”


So, believe it or not, I didn't come to New Jersey, just for fun. Nope, my bud Spencer Katzman is tying the knot later today, to a lovely woman named Josie, or Josefa ("if you're nasty"- Janet). So, many times, in instances like these, I would write a song saluting the nuptials of my dear amigos. Alas, I am still getting to know Josie, having only met her at my own wedding and through phone conversations with the guitartist formerly known as Splendra. Ergo, I don't know enough to sing anything eloquent.

So, wanting to offer some artistic something to the soon-to-be- newlyweds, I crafted this little poem in their honor. Spence is a very sweet and tender fellow, hence, "the pussycat" and Josie... well, I needn't explain that one. Enjoy some rich friendship history here with a side order of a poem. Congrats, friends. Mazel Tov.

No comments: