Friday, March 18, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 85

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 85 “Words of Reflection”

So, the cap on our amazing adventure to Paterson and The Great Falls was this lovely walk to the car passed the trash that distinguishes these urban New Jersey streets. Cue the police sirens nearby. Thank you Universe. So, here I read some "poetry" I wrote a few nights ago before crashing, about life, liberty, America and the Pilot V5, rolling ball red pen. 

Senator Cory Booker, apparently you're their only hope. This is a National Park for Pete's Sake., Let's trash snag and beautify. Even New Jereseyites deserve a lack of squalor in their zone. Cheers to Bobby and Leanne for making our outing so fun and productive. 

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 85 “Reunion in My Mind” by Jefferson Jay

I don't know about you but from time to time I wonder about those folks from high school from so long ago. Now, I keep in touch with my pals from those days. Thrilled to still call them pals, I am. But it's the rest of those folks. Who knows what happened to 'em? I wonder. Sometimes they make cameos in my dreams. I remember fighting Bedouins, or whatever they were, with the human formerly known as Susie Szwecki. Even though I was asleep, and it arguably never happened, the images still live formerly in my brain. I did run into her on there streets of Firenze many moons ago, but that is another story for another time. 

So while pondering high school and times gone by some months ago, I wrote this song. I have done a pretty great job keeping my Fair Lawn lineage under wraps for all these Internet years. It does not say Jefferson Jay on my high school diploma. Now, here in Operation 365 2, I am coming our of my Bergen County closet and shining my identity (not really, but close enough) with this here tune about days gone by and how we process them.

A few notes: One, Cheers to everybody I mentioned by name in this song. All real high school classmates of mine. You were on mind so cheers for that. I also add apologies in case I am blowing up any of your "spots" by mentioning you here. The good news is you'll probably never know about it and if you do find out it's like to fade quicker than everything you every learned from Gary Lausch. "Dream Big Dreams!" "Go to Chicago.!"etc... so on and so forth...

More, I say in here somewhere something about "never even friends." I wish to make a minor clarification o this line. When I mentioned "Are Dan Meyer and Laura Currie sitting on TJ hill thinking of me?" Well, they were friends of mine for a time. So they're exceptions in that regard. I wished to clarify. A wonderful example of the universe encouraging me was the day I wrote this Dan Meyer hit me up on Facebook with a friend request. I thought that was really cool. Hopefully, we'll touch base in a more personal way one of these days. Best to Laura and hers as well. Dan and I sang an original rap song or two in our 6th grade talent show, approximately 1986. So I guess that was more of a foreshadowing moment that anybody realized. Laura starred opposite me as Audrey in our Senior performance of "Little Shop of Horrors."

Two others I mentioned weren't exactly friends but were damn close at some points and though they deserved another mention here as they last thing I want to do after twenty-somethign years is hurt anyone's feelings. Jim Pelle, I knew since we were little kids and he starred as the voice of the plant in that same "Little Shop" performance. Liz Carmody was also a good acquaintance of mine for some time. So best to them in particular. I hope everybody, from all those years, is doing great and I hope this song brings you all a moment of nostalgia and positive memories of those innocent times gone by. 

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Covers – 85 “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks

So, I was doing my music job with the special needs folks, like I do, and a new gal joined the program. We were trying to meet her and engage her so we started asking her what songs she liked. She loves Garth Brooks. So, we did what we do, which was oblige and make her happy. I only know of one Garth Brooks tune and it's this one, so i looked it up and played it. It was a smash. People were stoked. I was stoked. That shit is contagious. 

So now, I play it pretty much every time I play for her group. That's the way these things tend to work. What a fun tune to play. I found myself getting arguably too into playing this version, but so what? You only live once, so let's post. I think Tom Waits might have possessed my body and swallowed my soul for those last couple chorii (That's my made up plural for "chorus"). Thanks Tom. Hope you are feeling this jam, my friends. 




No comments: