Saturday, March 5, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 72

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 72 “The Heart of Rock N’ Roll” by Huey Lewis & The News

So I had another idea for today cover-wise. I was going to do my Jamaican Calypso tune from the music book that I filmed at Jefferson School Friday. Another day for that one.. Paul Ruiz was here recording some tracks for our upcoming Best of Operation 365 album. Afterwards, he stuck around and chimed in on today’s 365.

We had fun, chose this one. It goes out to my wife and all her siblings and her Pop. “The Heart of Rock N’ Roll” is a special song in their family story. It ironically, holds a warm, warm place in their heart. My wife and her Pop danced their first dance at our wedding to it. So here it is today, complete with wrong words and chords form the Internet but only a little bit. Every little something makes it special. I like special a lot.

That’s two Hueys in a few days after none for the first 365. Not for lack of trying. Alas, I was still struggling to master “The Power of Love.”

CORRECTION: My wife and her Pops DID NOT dance their first dance at our wedding to “The Heart of Rock N’ Roll.” That was her sister. Different person. Different wedding. Oops. My wife and her Pops danced their first dance at our wedding to "That's My Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright. I think that's the only time I've ever heard that tune and I'm not even sure that's the right name. Maybe I'm still master the power of love, or at least recollection. Giving myself a "Needs Improvement" for that section of today's sh'bang.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 72 “Beach” by Jefferson Jay with Paul Ruiz

“Beach” is Song Three of my 12-songs-at-once challenge I gave myself a couple of Tuesdays ago. I plan to share them all here in order over the next week or so. Paul Ruiz, my dear friend and trumpet player does his thing here.

Last Thursday, I tried to write 24 songs in an hour, which would have been quadruple the rate of the first one. I wrote the music for 24 tunes, but I only finished the lyrics for 12 before I went to sleep. I haven’t revisited them yet, but I best soon. This is the nature of momentum. By song three, I was starting to notice I was being pulled toward “B” words. It felt mysterious. I kept writing.

“Beach” is about bonding with nature,

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 72 “The Word for Today Is”


Now, I’m not going to tell you what the word fort the day is, rather I’d like you to think deeply and submit yourself to the universe and determine what it is that way. I know you can do this. Everybody can. We are sentient. I mean really really really sentient.


No comments: